Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to sporting clays. I am a skeet shooter basically but want to shoot sporting clays occasionally. I shoot 7/8oz loads for skeet and wanted to stick to the same load so that I dont have to change the charge bar on the reloader.

I am planning to load WAA with claybuster grey wads, 7/8 oz of #8 lead shot, 209 primer, 18.5 grains of powder which will give me a velocity of 1300 fps. Do you think these are safe and good loads for sporting clays?

·
Administrator
23,257 Posts
redash said:
I am new to sporting clays. I am a skeet shooter basically but want to shoot sporting clays occasionally. I shoot 7/8oz loads for skeet and wanted to stick to the same load so that I dont have to change the charge bar on the reloader.

I am planning to load WAA with claybuster grey wads, 7/8 oz of #8 lead shot, 209 primer, 18.5 grains of powder which will give me a velocity of 1300 fps. Do you think these are safe and good loads for sporting clays?
Those will work fine but are much faster than required. 1250 is plenty. 18.5 grains of powder is never enough information to work with. That's like telling someone to put 20 gallons of liquid in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
First time you have to shoot a tower passing shot at 50 yards plus, your going to double think that whole 7/8oz load.

7/8 will get the job done on most of the shots, just not those very long shots where you want as much lead down range as you can throw at the target.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
With the wifes illness plus my age and the nearest gun club 50+ miles away I am no longer in a competition mode. Still love to shoot clays when I have the chance. I use 12ga w/ 1oz. at 1200 fps for everything now and the days when I am on it more than does the job for me. Then that's just me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
+1 on fase3's comments.

I like 7.5 shot for those long range shots. Just mort retained energy pat 45 yds.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
I find that 1 oz. #8 shot at approx. 1180 to 1200 FPS, does all that could be asked in Sporting, for all shots except the very long shots we are seeing more of. With these I believe that 1-1/8 oz, of #7-1/2 shot at no more than 1200 FPS, will get the job done.

Supersonic speed loads simply are not required in Sporting, nor is the associated recoil wanted from their use.

DLM

·
Registered
11,046 Posts
Well, it seems like everyone ASSUMES he is shooting a 12. With 7/8 oz. maybe it is a 20 (I primarily use my 28 ga. with only 3/4 oz. load). Yeah, they do break birds - even WAY out there.

Fortunately, the ranges I shoot at load them more like hunting shots, with only a few long shots thrown in.

I'm glad it's primarily HUNTERS up here!!

BobK

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't think a Claybuster Gray wad will fit in a 20 gauge hull. Also the powder charge seems a bit much for a 20 gauge load.

Your recipe seems pretty good if you like all that velocity. I load something like it but cut the powder to 16.5 grains of Red Dot. Great skeet load. Up the powder to 17 or 17.5 and you get about 1200 fps. The Claybuster Gray or the DownRange XXL-Pink both work very well.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
From the chronographing i've done with that load,
18.5 will give 1350+
17.5 will be in the 1270+ range.
16.5 will still be over 1200..

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I use the same basic load except for a lighter powder charge - AAHS or Remington hull, Fiocchi 616 primer, 16.5 gr of Promo (Red Dot), DR XXL Pink and 7/8 ounce of shot. When I point the gun right the clays break; when I don't they don't break. I agree that 1 or 1 1/8 ounce loads may be better for some of the long shots in competition so keep a few in your pocket for those shots. I shoot for fun and my shoulder sure prefers the slower 7/8 ounce loads.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just got home from a Zone shoot where I used my own 1 oz 7s (7 /12 US) and all targets were breakable. There were a few longer shot, but i would consider that a choking isssue more than anything else. More lead helps tho, but here it's not an issue, 1oz is the max permitted.
C

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I shoot a similar load but at a publish 1250FPS and it's a dandy load for clays out to 35 yards. I find my load to patterns tight and forces me to change chokes more than I'd like. You load may open up a bit more since it's traveling at a published 1300fps.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have patterned 7/8th ounce 1125 FPS loads at 45 yards, and they pattern better than any other shot weight at 1250 to 1350 fps loads do in my guns.

I do agree that you should use 7 1/2s on targets out 40 yards and farther for greater reliability. Number 8 shot will break longer targets but they do not have the striking energy that 7 1/2s do at 40+ yards. So even if more pellets hit the target with 8s, you can often just dust the target when 7 1/2s will break it.

I also agree the any rabbit past 25 or 30 yards should be taken with 7 1/2s.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I'm no Master shooter, but I have a bit of experience with various shots on a Sporting Clays range. I used to be one of those "chokers". Change the choke every time you change stations. I pretty much just leave in my Skeet II and my IC and call it good, (Actually Skeet and Skeet isn't too bad!) except for the longish ones, then Mod goes in, maybe even a Full at times. I've never really seen all that much advantage of #7-1/2s over #8s even at longer ranges. Maybe I'm just such a poor shot that I can't tell the difference anyhow?

I've seen a bunch of 27 yd 'caps run with #8s with no problem. Do the math, 27 yd plus the flight, whatever that may be? Not many Sporting clays shots I've ever shot are longer than 27 yd shots on a Trap range. Use 7-1/2s if you must, but I see no advantage of the 1300+ fps loads. I've loaded some of the snappy-hot Longshot 1500+ fps loads for shots way out there, never helped a bit. Maybe I was way too far ahead of them, that extra 25% velocity load and all? When I did hit one, it broke just like the 1200 fps loads.

Yup, I've seeen a fair number of long shots, 40+ yd., broken with 3/4 oz 28 ga loads. Full or Mod choke and danged good shooting. Not much room for golden BBs at that range with 3/4 oz of #7-1/2s.

BP

·
Registered
514 Posts
I should start of by I am a long way from a master shooter but if I put the gun where it needs to be I am 100% convinced that I can break a 55 yard target with my 7/8 oz load every single time. In 7.5's you are talking about 86 pellets difference between in 7/8 oz and 1 1/8 based upon tables here on shotgun world I haven't actually counted them.

I don't use the particular load data you are listing but I normally keep my shells around the 1235/1250 data. One thing worth mentioning is don't waste your time with any wad outside of the Downrange XXL pink wads. They are a MUCH better wad than anything else I have used and I have tried win and claybuster.

·
Registered
329 Posts
redash said:

Thats pretty much the same load I use for sporting clays. I use a little less powder (promo) and they work great. I smoke plenty of targets when I do my job. I will admit if I see a rabbit or a long shot I have a few 1 1/8 oz 7.5 I will reach for.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts