Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a Winchester Select Energy Sporting O/U 28inch gun as my new trap gun. I have gone to 2 different practices and have performed poorly and i need to find out why i am not shooting as well as i usually do. I went from a Field Model O/U and wonder if going from a field to a sporting model is what is affecting me. Please tell me whats going on. And what kind of choke should i use, i have always used a modified.

·
Registered
89 Posts
trapper25,

Firstly I would say not to get discouraged too quickly...going from a field gun to a sporting or trap model gun is bound to take a little adjustment time...it took my brother about two full rounds of trap to start coming around the corner when I took him with me a couple weeks ago...he always just shot field model pumps with his pals and a few hand throwers.

There are several variables that could be making it difficult for you to adjust quickly to the sporting model...it could have a POI which is higher than your field model...basically it shoots "higher"...I know if it were the trap model this would be almost positive...not exactly sure if the sporting model is also this way.
Also could be the stock and how it fits you compared to the field gun you have...since I don't know the specifics on each of your guns, the new sporting model could have a monte carlo stock or adjustable comb and your field model does not?

I am sure several forum members with much much more trap and gun fit knowledge than I will chime in with some expert advice for you.

My only piece of advice is what I opened with above...don't get discouraged too quickly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I forgot to address your choke question...maybe my subconscious did this intentionally because this subject has very high debate statistics. :D

All I will say is that modified works fine from the 16yd. line and even back further...depends on the shooter.

For me? I have two trap guns right now...a pump gun with a fixed full choke barrel and an O/U that I have improved modified in the bottom and full in the top.

I tend to lean towards the belief that a tighter choke helps to "refine" a trap shooter's skills...and honestly a full choke is more fun for me to shoot than a modified.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
trapper....Any change in gun will have an effect on your shooting. Usually a change in the wrong direction.

First resolve * pattern the old gun on paper and see where it is shooting at target distance. Then pattern the new gun to note any POI change. If the stock is adjustable, set the new gun to pattern in the same place as the old. Maybe just a little higher.

Any time you change guns, you are also changing the dynamics of your shooting. Different balance,weight, trigger pull and fit. Even if you can set the new gun up to shoot the same POI, expect a change in timing based on the new dynamics. Decide if your pointing faster (requires a higher POI) or aiming the shotgun instead of pointing to try and figure out where it is shooting. Trigger may have less play and lighter in pull weight (gun goes off faster requiring a higher POI).

We all go through the new gun blues, and it does take time to get back into the center of the target. "Center" is the key word. The gun must center on your focus point, so all you need to do is look at the target and it smokes. Sounds simple, but a lot of knowledge and effort must be applied to get to confidence in the gun.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

Check POI on paper, at target distance first. Knowing where the gun shoots at a stationary target offers great confidence and allows you to have insight into why you are missing targets. The rest of the issue latter.

Maltzie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.