Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been decided and we are going to get a springer spaniel anybody know of a good breeder within a 2 hour drive of the twin cities?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I met a few breeders at the Game Fair last year in Anoka. I can remember two off-hand.

Harvest Hunters from Cyrus, MN. Link

Pepper's Pups in Buffalo, MN. Link

I was most impressed with Harvest Hunters. They are a little over two hours from the Twin Cities but I wouldn't limit yourself to breeders who are close by. The best dog we had growing up was a Springer that came from Bismark, ND (unfortunately he is no longer breeding springers) and that was a five hour drive for us.

I have some business cards from other breeders we met and I can post their info later.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The other breeder I talked to at the Game Fair was from JWT Heavenly Springers out of St. Cloud. I don't have a web address for them but this will get you their contact info. Link.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Make sure you consider their temperment especialy if they will be around kids. The field trial variety can be extremely energetic and also known to have springer rage and bite. I had a field trial springer male (fixed) that could never settle down and drove my older dog, me, and most others up a wall. When I had to leave town no one would watch that dog. My older female would put him down and he would squirm out and not learn a thing. She was not enjoying her later years and I had enough. He found a home on farm that gave him all kinds of room to expend his energy. He was a natural hunter but wore himself out on long days because he did not pace himself. Field trials are a short intense game and not a true reflection of a typical days hunt. Great for quick paced short hunts though. So be very careful before investing in a field trial springer if you have kids, limited training time and or patience, older dogs, and plan on keeping it in the house. I learned why many of these dogs are kept in kennels and not in the house but I want a family dog not a cage dog. There are other hunting lines that are not the hyper field trial variety.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts