Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother-in-law gave me two guns that her uncle had used years before. One is a 1917 Eddystone WWI rifle, and the second is a Springfield double-barrel shotgun whose serial and model number I can't quite place. I'm not that familiar with guns, period, so I may be looking over the portion where the serial and model numbers are etched--if they're there at all.

This shotgun is dual-trigger, 20-gauge, where--on the left side--it's etched in three lines: "SPRINGFIELD", "Savage Arms Corporation" and "Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A."

On top of the individual barrels it reads: "Selected Forged Steel", and "Proof Tested -- 20 Gauge -- 2 3/4 inch chamber"

If I pry off the wood/steel section in front of the triggers, I can see that, on the top side, (facing the gun when put back on) three things either burned or etched into the wood:

"167"
"20"
"C"

On the steel part, I can see a "B" with a circle around it, and the letters "SV"

If I leave that steel/wood block off and take a look back at the gun, the steel part to which I hook the steel/wood block has a "P" engraved on it.

I'm not worried about the value (although it looks like her uncle too great care of his guns), but I am curious about the age. Does this shotgun sound familiar to anyone? :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
332 Posts
The Springfield was an economy model of the Model 311. They may have cut a few corners on the quality of the wood or final finishing, but it is still a good gun. The earliest models would not include the Savage name and the Springfield name was discontinued around 1942, so yours was probably manufactured c 1930-42. It won't have a serial number. Someone else may have a better idea of what they are selling for now, but my estimate would be around $200 - $250 in Very Good to Fine condition.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All Hat No Horse said:
The Springfield was an economy model of the Model 311. They may have cut a few corners on the quality of the wood or final finishing, but it is still a good gun. The earliest models would not include the Savage name and the Springfield name was discontinued around 1942, so yours was probably manufactured c 1930-42. It won't have a serial number. Someone else may have a better idea of what they are selling for now, but my estimate would be around $200 - $250 in Very Good to Fine condition.
Thanks, All Hat No Horse! I appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts