Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to get one of these doubles and was wanting some opinions on `em. I`d guess it to be about 95% condition. The only thing I can see wrong with it is the bores do have some SLIGHT pitting in them. The ones i`ve seen on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica are listing at $1000 - $1500. I can get this one for $500.00 but would really like to hear from you folks first.

Burch

·
Registered
212 Posts
St-Etienne is Like Pittsburgh, PA. It's the capital of Steel in France. There are a lot of "unknown" brands coming from different factories. Some were "paying" the workers, back at the time, with gun parts. These workers were not equally talented. They finished guns and sold them by themselves. So quality is not always there....

Make shure yours is OK.

Have the seller check if there's a factory name on the action...

Louis

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
" on the action " are you refering to the reciever ? Also their is a lot of very detailed engraving on metal and wood parts. Some of the gold inlaying is missing but not much.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Can you post any photos?

Also, FWIW, I wouldn't buy the gun due to the pitting of the bore. That's more work than I'm interested in doing, and positive results are not always guaranteed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He did offer to let me take it out and shoot it. If I don`t like it no problem. I just don`t think i`ll find another SxS for $500.00 unless I go with a lower end gun. Do you think the slight pitting thing will effect the pattern very much ?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
This one might be worth your time to shoot and then if you think you like it pay a gunsmith to look it over. I would be leery of a no-name gun.

The pitting may suggest the gun wasn't well cared for so a 'smith's opinion is worth it

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
St. Etienne is the French Birmingham; they made everything from the glorious to the ghastly. Additionally it's home to the French proof house. buyer beware.

eug

·
Registered
981 Posts
The two gunmakers that I am fimilar with that are locatd in St.Etienne. Are DARNE & MANUFRANCE they both have made SxS in the the past. I do not beleive MANUFRANCE is still making guns.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I picked up a SxS 16 ga made there. It has Peugeot proofs on it as well as on the opening lever. This issue was covered in 16ga.com and some one supplied me with a listing of French manufacturers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried to take some pics but the close up shots came out to fuzzy to see good so i`ll just give ya the proof marks on it. It has consecutive serial #`s on everything. Pumpster`s right about one thing, it wasn`t taken care of very good but it does seem to be in good shape considering how many hands it`s probably went through. Also the pitting in the barrel wasn`t near as bad as I thought. It chambers a 2 3/4 shell. The markings are this: PORTIE E GARANTIE ( this may be all one word I can`t tell ) , CHOKE BORED PERFECTIONNE , PT , the words Grand Prix are inside of a circle , 18.2 , 6.5 , EDAILLE D`OR , Their is also what looks like a partridge stamped in it. Their is also what looks like a manufactures stamp but I can`t be sure. It looks like a set of barbells on a hump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.