Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When refinishing is it generally always necessary to stain the wood or does darker walnut have a dark enough look to render it unnecessary?

Also, I am trying to decide whether to restore a well used Belgium 16ga sxs. The guy at the gun store I bought it from says, "Don't do it, just buy another gun for how much you would spend restoring it." Of course that might be true, but he just probably wants to sell me another gun. If I really like the gun isn't it worth fixing up, or should I just buy another gun? Does anyone have a good opinion on the subject? I don't care about resale value; I just want to enjoy it. To me, it's like saying, "Don't restore that old corvette; just keep it original and buy a new BMW."

·
Registered
985 Posts
Welcome birdbrained! Love the name, been called that alot durring pheasant season:)
-------------------------
I don't see a need to stain any stock if you like the way it looks. You do need to protect it though. You need to seal the wood with a good clear seal. Many sealers can be had colored or clear. Minwax makes some good products. Ask your local hardware store for a product that could be used on a fine wood chair that you might take out in the rain. Once the funny looks are done they should be able to help you out.

As for the SxS, let me put it this way, I'd be happy to take the gun and restore it if you don't want it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you'd take it off my hands for me? Wow, thank you. He he he. :D

Thanks for the staining advice also. I'm looking forward to the project. The stock also has a deep dent in it. Can that be lifted out with steam, or am I forced to put new wood on it?

·
Registered
985 Posts
The only way I have fixed large dents in a stock is to use a wood filler. It takes a bit od time to mix the colors and get it to match, but in the end it looks good, not great, good. I mix the filler, scuff the dent, put the filler in the dent, smoth it with a plastic trowl, let it dry, sand it, then put mixwax sealer or stain on it. I have only done this twice and it is the only way I know. I bet there are much better ways out to go about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.