Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im looking at getting an o/u for my new shotgun(i have a pump right now), i want to start sporting clays but also use the o/u as a hunting gun, which one would be best to use, keep in mind im on a small budget

·
Registered
985 Posts
For an O/U on a budget you can't beat the IZH-27 imported by Eaa Corp. The gun has selectable ejectors, single select trigger, chrome line barrels, screw in chokes, vented rib, high quality and comes in many finishes and trim levels. The weapons retail for about $500 but can be ordered from CDNN for $229 new! CDNN is a great company to work with, don't let the price full you, they sell new quality guns.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Define "budget".

You can get a Lanber, Huglu, Traditions, Verona (? I think), etc, for between $400 and $800 or so. You can get a Winchester, Ruger, or Beretta for $1000-$1200. If you're willing to buy used and lucky enough to find something such a thing, you might be able to get something nice for $800-$1K.

You also have to take into account your own tastes and purchasing habits. Will/can you be happy with the bottom-of-the-line of a given product? Nothing to be ashamed of, many people are (that's why those products sell). Are you looking for a specific feature, or just want an O/U, any O/U, as long as you don't have to spend more than (say) $500? Will you want to upgrade it within a year? Do you shoot 1000 rounds a week? Are you concerned about parts availability and service?

The EAA mentioned above is a good gun for the money. If I were going to get one I'd pay a little more and get it through Davidsons (a distributor your dealer would buy it through), since Davidsons gives you a limited lifetime replacement warranty in the event something does go wrong with it.

I just went through all this myself. I knew I wanted an O/U, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. In looking around I found all the sub-$1000 guns lacking in one way or another. I ended up with an $1100 Winchester. I'm very happy.

It all comes down to what you want, what you're willing to pay, and what compromises you're willing to make to either side of that equation. No one else can really answer that but you.

-- Sam

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I tend to agree with SamL. I would look for a used gun from a major manufaturer. An older fixed choke Browning or Berreta can be found in the $500 range if one looks. I have even seen Beretta Essentials in the $600 range in the past couple of months. The Winchester 101 is often seen under $800 also. If I had to have new, I would look at the Ruger, maybe the Verona. GordonSetter and I are opposite sides of the coin; he has had good experiences with the lower cost imports and bad with used guns; I have good luck with used guns and poor with the imports. Good luck on whatever you decide and may GS and I keep our grey clouds from you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go with the verona I just got a lx502 at dicks 599.00 nickel reciever game sceens on both sides of the reciever. Came with 3 chokes. Shoots like a dream. Very impressed on the qualit of workmanship. They are made by FAIR. You cant touch a better made shotgun for the price.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Why do you want an O/U? Generally, quality O/U and 'smaller' budgets just do not match up. By the way, it is OK to want one just because you want one! We've all been there, and some of us continue to stay there!

You say you want to shoot Sporting and hunt with it. I see more and more people shooting clays with semi-autos. I think it is because of the taming of the recoil that is natural with the semi-auto. Look around at the clay fields--I think you will see the same. People switching from the O/U to the semi-auto.

What kind of hunting do you do? Will a semi-auto fit there? If I did not have $800-$1000 to spend on a reasonable quality O/U I would spend $500-$700 and obtain a quality semi-auto.

With all due respect to other's opinions, there is a reason someone can sell a new O/U for $300 when the vast majority of others have to price theirs at $1000 to start, and of course the sky is the limit. It usually has to do with quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts