Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting referees for a big shoot is difficult. It's been that way since I started in the game.

When I started all the state shoots in the zone were clustered in June, several on the same weekend. Considering that many of the referees work in several states, that made getting refs for state shoots more of a problem.

One state in the Zone moved their state shoot to July. One reason for that move was to help relieve the referee logjam That only helped for a year or so until most of the other states moved their state shoots to July.

Then one state moved to late August. That helped. But other states moved too. Logjam-3.0.

Moving to September seemed like that might help. But now three states in the Zone have their State Shoots on the same weekend in September.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
So why haven't the states in your zone worked together to schedule their state shoots in different months?? It seems to me this would not only fix the ref issue but allow more shooters to attend state shoots in their zone. Right now it appears they are purposely working against each other with this "follow the leader" moving of the state shoot.
Steve

·
Registered
535 Posts
This seems to be a problem all over. Ref's are getting older and replacement with young ref's are hard to find. Some clubs are a little cheap as far as paying for "good ref's". I don't know if a state shoot in other zones are open for non resident's. I do know several are closed in Zone 5.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Referee - what the heck is a referee? Utah hasn't used a paid referee in over 20 years - for any shoot. Shooters will sometimes help out by refereeing if we end up having more than one flight which is very rare. The rest of the time we self referee. Life's a beach; then you die.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
This seems to be a problem all over. Ref's are getting older and replacement with young ref's are hard to find. Some clubs are a little cheap as far as paying for "good ref's". I don't know if a state shoot in other zones are open for non resident's. I do know several are closed in Zone 5.
I think we pay our refs $8 per 100 , so a 5 man squad earns them $40. An ironman ref is making $240 if he pulls all full squads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts