Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was the last shooter on the squad. After shooting the low house everybody else had already left the field. Is that cool? Or just bad manners?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,707 Posts
yoda said:
I was the last shooter on the squad. After shooting the low house everybody else had already left the field. Is that cool? Or just bad manners?
I think it bad manners. SpeedoSkeets think it cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Bad form.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,233 Posts
In competition, where a squad has a set period of time to complete its full round, the first three shooters will usually go over and restock with ammunition while the fourth and fifth shooters complete their Low 8 shots. Generally, the fourth shooter will rotate back and stand behind the fifth shooter when he/she shoots to provide a semblance of normalcy. When the last two shooters complete their Low 8 shots, they will go over to restock with ammunition while the first three move to Station 1 to begin the next round.

If this is just recreational skeet, with no time pressure to complete the round, then all squad members should probably remain at Low 8 until the round is completed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,219 Posts
If they don't remain at low 8 while you complete it, how will they see you break the 25th target? :D :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do turnaments have to be shot so damn fast? In 90 degree heat it would be nice to have a little break and have a little water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,219 Posts
Usually because there are 2 or more squads to shoot on the same field. :roll:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,707 Posts
OldSkeeter said:
In competition, the first three shooters will usually go over and restock with ammunition while the fourth and fifth shooters complete their Low 8 shots.
Not usually here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
I often shoot 2nd. Myself and lead will shoot and go get ammo. The other guys do whatever they want. We shoot together often, and no one really cares or gets upset. At the end of 100, we all wait for the final guy, review scores,and either celebrate or cry together!

Don't let one shooters routine worry you if it isn't what you expected him to do, especially if you don't know him!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
ShowMe said:
OldSkeeter said:
In competition, the first three shooters will usually go over and restock with ammunition while the fourth and fifth shooters complete their Low 8 shots.
Not usually here.
Nor here, nor in any of the many states where I shoot. It's poor etiquette and not necessary for a normal 1.5 hour flight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Why do turnaments have to be shot so damn fast? In 90 degree heat it would be nice to have a little break and have a little water.
What time in the morning would seem to be the absolute earliest that you would want to shoot your event knowing that you just might be assigned to shoot at that time? (Particularly on a Saturday morning knowing that you might be traveling in early that morning to get there.) What time in the evening would be the absolute latest that you would want to shoot your event knowing that you just might be assigned to shoot at that time? (Particularly on a Sunday evening knowing that you might be traveling home that night in order to make it to work the next day).

Now do the math. If the club has plenty of fields, limited shooters and a self pull/score situation such that one rotation is all that is needed then they can make the events 2 1/2 hours long and squads can shoot at a very leisurely pace. There is nothing wrong with it; I know of a club that does exactly that. If there is any negative at all with it it is that the shooters have trained themselves to shoot a rotation in 2-hrs (or longer) and they are uncomfortable with anything quicker than that. In the event that they get outside of that comfortable schedule they tend to shoot poorly; they just are not accustom to it.

But what about the tournament that needs 3 rotations to get the participants through? And the desire to not start an event before 8:00 or start after 4:00? Are the referees going to get a few minutes to use the bathroom, drink a bottle of pop and eat a sandwich for lunch? In some situations there are time constraints and rotation schedules are strictly adhered to. When shooters know that they will be attending those type of tournaments, having trained themselves to shoot 2-hr rotations is not helpful to themselves or to tournament management.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
I consider it impolite and always stay with my squad until the last shooter's done.
I'm sure that its a possible breach of etiquette never even occurs to some people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
I shoot leadoff and always stay, unless I need to do something unusual between rounds that will take extra time (change lenses, gun/ammo problem, etc).

If it's raining, or I'm on a slow squad that's going to struggle to finish on-time, I may put a few extra shells in my pouch and go right from station 8 to station 1, but only after letting everyone else know my intentions, and I still wait for everyone to finish station 8.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
I know some guys who after shooting a station, will go way back and find a spot in the shade under a tree. Is it poor etiquette for them not to return immediately behind the station and watch the next guys shoot that station?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
John Henry said:
I know some guys who after shooting a station, will go way back and find a spot in the shade under a tree. Is it poor etiquette for them not to return immediately behind the station and watch the next guys shoot that station?
You've shot a lot of registered targets so I assume your question is rhetorical.

For those who haven't shot much, I will say that in my experience typically the #4 shooter backs-up the #5 shooter on Stations 1 thru 7, and if he won't do it then someone else does. If no one backs-up the tailgunner, then yes, that's poor etiquette.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
RKA5 said:
For those who haven't shot much, I will say that in my experience typically the #4 shooter backs-up the #5 shooter on Stations 1 thru 7, and if he won't do it then someone else does. If no one backs-up the tailgunner, then yes, that's poor etiquette.
Absolutely agree with that. That's how my squad does it. (Both my squads.)

Coincidentally, I don't like shooting 1st or 4th. Actually prefer 2nd or 5th.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
John Henry said:
RKA5 said:
For those who haven't shot much, I will say that in my experience typically the #4 shooter backs-up the #5 shooter on Stations 1 thru 7, and if he won't do it then someone else does. If no one backs-up the tailgunner, then yes, that's poor etiquette.
Absolutely agree with that. That's how my squad does it. (Both my squads.)
Coincidentally, I don't like shooting 1st or 4th. Actually prefer 2nd or 5th.
When shooting with pick-up squads I prefer shooting leadoff so as to avoid having potentially distracting shooters in front of me. Among shooters I know, I like shooting #2 behind an accomplished and unflappable leadoff. No drama, please.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,707 Posts
I shoot tail-gunner a lot. I don't care if nobody backs me. As a southpaw what is annoying tho is a speed midget that starts paddling over to the next station before I even call for my low-house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
I don't shoot competition. I often shoot with people I don't know. I often pull for the squad. Often the folks leave the 8 as they they finish and I have to occasionally have to ask someone to pull for me. That's one reason I'm not to big on skeet...folks are not to sociable.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top