Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've chronicled my tribulations with station one at Raahauge's Corona CA in these two previous threads

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=441950

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=442110

Well, I was out there again yesterday. It was a report pair of two birds doing almost the same thing, right to left crossers at 50 yards, with a mild arc. They changed the first bird, and left the second one, which in everyone's opinion was the harder of the two.

The second bird is still 50 yards out (behind the hay bales), still crosses from the 1 o'clock position to the 11 o'clock position, but comes in about 5 yards. So it's 50 yards to the machine, and 45 yards to where it lands.

I didn't shoot it, I just watched.

First up a well known master class shooter (he's always near the top, if not HOA) and local instructor. He never touched it from the cage, and even when he moved out if front (with range permission) he still blanked it.

Next up another master class shooter, this guy is always in the low 90's / high 80's. He hit it the first time from the cage, said "I've got this" and never touched it again :)

None of us seem to know what's going on. Well, a local gunsmith that was shooting a 28ga SxS was able to break it a few times, but the rest of us are stymied :)

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Foosel said:
What was the gunsmith doing differently than you guys?
Breaking the target :)

I'll be here all week folks, don't forget to tip your waitresses.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Brad:
If you can get permission move out closer and shoot that target on an off peak, you can learn to crush it. First get out and stand behind the trap and throw that target and see exactly what it is doing. Go out in front of the stand where you know you can break it several times and then move back ten yards at more lead a break it several times. Move back another ten, add more lead and break it again. It is far easier to find that really long target by this method. You may end up with a lead that is about a Suburban and a half.

We had a target from a fifty foot tower at Murphy and Sons that was a left to right crosser and angled out and slightly down with a lot of spring. Several of us went back with the target setter and shot boxes of shells on the pair. Thanks to Tim Murphy I broke it twice in the event. We measured the distance to where it was being broken at 63 yards. Every body broke it eventually and most had never shot a target or a bird that far.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
After watching your video, you would want to shoot that in transition. It's really fast in the 1st 3rd on it's travel and doesn't allow you to get the line well. The thing you have to keep in mind is the vertical lead (down under) along with the forward lead. I would setup with the hold point slightly before the apex so you can get the line down and out front. You can use either a pull away or maintained lead but it's going to be a big gap! Hope this helps...

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I said in my other thread, for years we've shot soft, close targets in So Cal. Now that Triple B, Raahauge's, and Moore n Moore are throwing stiffer targets with some distance on them, we are having to step up our game.

Most of us welcome the change, but we're still not up to the Northbrook level :)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Brad,

From the amount you post on this site and what appear to be your never-ending travels to shoot and fish, it's apparent that you have a lot of time on your hands and, at least, a measurable amount of disposable income.

From your NSCA history, you've been bouncing between B and C class since 2008 and you're only in B right now due to a punch won in a penalty class at a state shoot. Eight years is a long time to be mired in the doldrums of the middle classes with no real improvement gained.

Why not, instead of trying to get something useful for free out of a bunch of armchair experts over the internet who can't actually see what you're doing wrong to be able to give meaningful advice, take some of that free time and disposable income and pay a pro for some lessons? Then take more of that free time and disposable income and shoot LOTS with people who are better than you, both practice and tournaments. Then pay for more lessons. Then pay to shoot LOTS and repeat ad nauseam. Of course, you could skip the lessons part but then you would have to shoot LOTS and LOTS and LOTS. These are the only paths to success; there are no shortcuts.

Or don't do that and continue to posts LOTS on SGW. Your choice.

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bopper said:
Or don't do that and continue to posts LOTS on SGW. Your choice.
Thanks, I enjoy shooting, I enjoy taking pictures, and I enjoy writing about shooting. I'll take posting on SGW.

I don't measure myself against other men by what NSCA class I'm in, I use a ruler :)

*although I did win C Class at our state championship in 2011.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yrs- He is on the wrong side of the states for you but a half day with Anthony Materese would help you with those kid of presentations. Also for 50 yard shots put all the choke you have in your shooter.
Shoot straight and tell the truth. (Well one out of two anyway)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.