Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been loading lead target and hunting loads for a few years and I want to try to load steel for waterfowl. Do you guys have any manuals to recommend?
By any chance is it possible to put 1 3/8oz in a 3" hull? Don't need much speed, 1300 fps would be plenty.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I don't know if any of our steel wads will hold 1 3/8. The multi-metal doesnt, and the sam1 is pretty packed with 1 1/4.

RSI manual is the best for steel IMO, they are an oldschool company though and you have to phone in all your orders which is very inconvenient.

BPI lightning steel is a good one, but favors the opposite of what you are wanting... its mostly light steel loads with good speed (up to near 1800fps)

BPI advantages has some steel loads, using their multi-metal wad mostly if I remember right.

Lymans 5th has a handful of steel loads up to 1 1/4.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, truely makes me wonder what wad or at least how company can load 1 3/8 of steel in their 3" hulls!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Thank you very much, truely makes me wonder what wad or at least how company can load 1 3/8 of steel in their 3" hulls!
If you cut one open, most of the time the shot is well over the wad and still not a true 1 3/8.. i personally would not load like this but some people do. Modern barrels are harder than steel shot, so there SHOULDNT be any scoring but i would not take the chance. I no longer shoot factory 3" 1 3/8.

Also, and this is the main reason i dont shoot it, if you chronograph the Kent 1 3/8, they have never hit 1300fps for me. More like 1225-1250 which is too slow for me with steel shot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been lucky enough to get the Winchester Blind side 1 3/8oz #1 and BB to pattern well enough for decoying shots (30-35m) so that's what I use for geese. I don't know if the hex shot truly makes a difference in the pellet count but they really do have 1 3/8oz (I weighted 10) and they don't over flow. My goal would've been to replicate the load minus the hex shot and the price tag hahaha.

1 1/4oz would be plenty for geese anyway

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yeah it's the hex shape that allows it. 1 1/4 BB at 1400-1500 is plenty for all geese over decoys. There should be a couple recipes for free on alliant's reloaders guide

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By any chance do you know if the RSI book contains loads using cheddite hulls? They are probably the most accessible hulls that I have since I have a Cheddite ammo factory close to home. Thank you BBK for your knowledge, been very useful.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
By any chance do you know if the RSI book contains loads using cheddite hulls? They are probably the most accessible hulls that I have since I have a Cheddite ammo factory close to home. Thank you BBK for your knowledge, been very useful.
Its been 5 years since I looked in it, but I know there were some. 131/132 stands out in my mind as cheddite. There are a lot of activ hull loads that RSI said you can sub cheddite hulls for. There are also federal GM hulls in 2.75", a lot of guys use cheddite hulls for rsi 65 which is IMO the best patterning steel shell there is. Its a 2.75" 1 1/16ish load that is a duck whacker for sure.

I think RSI 131 was 3" cheddite with 1 3/16oz shot in SAM1 wad at 1550fps, guys had good luck with this and BB for geese i know.

Just a note, RSI used almost exclusively A-STEEL powder

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I've gathered from reading online, reloading steel is a lot more "risky" than lead. By that I mean a slight difference in powder charge or a different wad can transform a safe load into a dangerous one. How accurate is that? In no case do I want to create my own receipes, just want to see if I can use my reloader or make them by hand one at a time.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Absolutely. Most are near max pressure to start.

Most steel is made one at a time, as most use a-steel powder which does not drop accurately. Longshot and blue dot can be dropped if you have a recipe for that. You cant drop BB steel accurately, youll hand dip/weigh that. #2 and smaller can be dropped fairly well with a MEC steel conversion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good to know, don't need to load thousands of steel loads. only need a few boxes. Going to start at looking at loads, hopefully I can get started soon.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've been loading lead target and hunting loads for a few years and I want to try to load steel for waterfowl. Do you guys have any manuals to recommend?
By any chance is it possible to put 1 3/8oz in a 3" hull? Don't need much speed, 1300 fps would be plenty.

Thank you in advance!
You need Speed more than you need Payload Weight............... The steel load mfrs learned that 40 years ago.........

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
No, you won't get 1-3/8 steel in a 12-ga. It takes me a 3-1/2" 10-ga to put 1-1/2 ounces in, only a little more weight, a LOT more hull volume.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No, you won't get 1-3/8 steel in a 12-ga. It takes me a 3-1/2" 10-ga to put 1-1/2 ounces in, only a little more weight, a LOT more hull volume.

Same here, you can buy Federal 10-ga loads with 1-1/2 oz of BB for geese at 1400 fps... don't wanna know about the recoil.
For the 12-ga I would stick with something like 1-1/4 of bismuth at 1250 max.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you want fast heavy steel loads in 12 ga you need Alliant Steel powder. Good luck finding it at present. One oz, 7/8 or even 3/4 oz will kill ducks just fine and you should be able to find some powder to load these. As already stated, Bismuth works and can be loaded with regular 12 ga powder and wads.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you want fast heavy steel loads in 12 ga you need Alliant Steel powder. Good luck finding it at present. One oz, 7/8 or even 3/4 oz will kill ducks just fine and you should be able to find some powder to load these. As already stated, Bismuth works and can be loaded with regular 12 ga powder and wads.
X2 This. My shootin buddy years ago, did everything with 1-1/8 oz in 12 ga. He did clays with it, he took ducks with it, and the occasional goose. He took racoons with it. He used the same Win AA handicap hulls for everything, the same CCI109 primers for everything, the same Red Dot for everything. The only thing he varied was the shot size. Being quite poor, he had to eat what he hunted -- and he had lots of success.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I 100% agree that high density shot is way better than steel for waterfowl but in Canada the cost of bismuth is rather prohibitive, to the point that factory ammo would cost the same as reloading it. I have also been thinking about TSS duplex loads, a lot more affordable than bismuth surprisingly. Only reason I want to load steel is due to the price. Heck of a lot cheaper if I don't like the result.

To go back to the 1 3/8oz steel load, a Canadian company manages to make and sell a 3" 1 3/8oz @ 1400 fps (advertised). They use Cheddite hulls and Gualandi wads so it must be possible to a certain extend to recreate the load.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Again on the 1 3/8 oz load, I found some data and chronograph testing from several years ago back when I felt I had to have lots of big pellets to kill ducks. The best speed was 1360. The recoil was brutal and #1 steel never did pattern good. Fast forward to now all I shoot is 20 ga with 3/4 oz #3 in 2 3/4" hulls or the odd 7 /8 oz #2 in a 3" hull. Both at 1450 fps+. And when the birds are working right the 410 comes out with 91 #5 steel pellets. What recoil!

·
Registered
80 Posts
To go back to the 1 3/8oz steel load, a Canadian company manages to make and sell a 3" 1 3/8oz @ 1400 fps (advertised). They use Cheddite hulls and Gualandi wads so it must be possible to a certain extend to recreate the load.
Those are the shells that I would buy, then. Or make your own. The claimed speed sounds about right.
Bismuth is pretty expensive here, too. I'm surprised at how hard it is to get shot in my area, given that it is a major flyway for the honkers. (Niagara region)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again on the 1 3/8 oz load, I found some data and chronograph testing from several years ago back when I felt I had to have lots of big pellets to kill ducks. The best speed was 1360. The recoil was brutal and #1 steel never did pattern good. Fast forward to now all I shoot is 20 ga with 3/4 oz #3 in 2 3/4" hulls or the odd 7 /8 oz #2 in a 3" hull. Both at 1450 fps+. And when the birds are working right the 410 comes out with 91 #5 steel pellets. What recoil!
If I'd be hunting more ducks than geese I would definetly go for lighter loads, for decoying geese I've had better success with #1 shot and up. With such big pellets it's hard to get dense pattern.
Those are the shells that I would buy, then. Or make your own. The claimed speed sounds about right.
Bismuth is pretty expensive here, too. I'm surprised at how hard it is to get shot in my area, given that it is a major flyway for the honkers. (Niagara region)
Here in Quebec I have easy access to Cheddite primers thanks to Challenger ammunition and same thing for shot. TSS 15,18, bismuth, steel and lead all accessible. If only powder was more accessible...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts