Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some posts praising the BPS for being able to shoot steel shot. I was under the impression all new pumps will shoot steel shot. If your gun is able to shoot steel, will it shoot all others like lead, tungsten and nitro?? Can I shoot any kind of shot with the following guns?? All of which brand new..

1. Browning BPS Hunter
2. 870 Wingmaster
3. Winchester 1300 Walnut

What makes a gun able to shoot steel, nitro or tungsten??

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
If those guns couldn't handle steel, they wouldn't be on the market. See for yourself. Go to browning.com remington.com and winchester-guns.com

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been to all three of those sights and no where that I can see does it say steel shot compatable. Or anything even close to that.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Actually, I don't think there is a gun that is truely "steel shot" compatible. As long as the shot is seperated from the steel of the barrel, there won't be any problems. This is usually acomplished by the use of steel shot wads.

Bob

·
Registered
57 Posts
You should not experience any problems shooting steel in any modern Browning, Winchester, or Remington as long as you use an "open" choke.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Due to the laws that mandate the use of steel shot, I would assume that all shotguns made to be sold in th US will handle steel shot.

There are two proviso's that are added:

1. how often will steel shot be used
2. how big is the steel shot being used

Most people (and manuf. of choke tubes) recommend using extended choke tubes for repeated steel shot use. The reason is because the majority of the constriction that makes up the choke is OUTSIDE of the barrel where any bulging or other potential problems with using the steel shot would manifest itself.

This also effects the size of the steel shot that can be used. Again, most recommend a specific size limit to the steel shot that can be used when using flush mounted choke tubes as they can be damaged by the larger shot, sometimes making it impossible to remove the choke tube from the barrel.

Manufacturers will also recommend that steel shot should not be used in guns choked tighter than say Modified, as an example. It is different for the various manufacturers, and I'm sure it's based on which particular style choke system they use and how they feel it will be effected by the shot.

Copterdrvr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts