Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to shoot steel through those old 101 Winchesters?

Does it matter what choke you are using?

Hate to mess it up by learning the hard way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would not shoot steel shot through a Winchester 101. They have very thin barrels. Probably why they balance so well. You would not want to shoot steel shot through full choke.

Not an experts answer, but I do have several 101's and decided not to do it.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Don't shoot steel through the gun, it's just too dangerous with those guns because the barrels are too thin and too soft. Also never shoot steel with a full choke. I'm not an expert but I know that you should not shoot steel through that gun.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
GEEESSHHH, realize I have never, and never will fire a round of steel thru a gun---unless they start making us for Sporting---but one of you guys tell me why the barrel of a 101 won't work with steel? I can certainly understand about the tight chokes, but am sure indifferent to the barrel deal.

The wad design is supposed to be so that no steel ever touches the barrel, I have picked up alot of steel wads that have been fired, the steel will just barely dimple the tough, thick wad---no way will it go thru. So why?

Are you throwing all 101's into the same basket?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
My previous post was more of a learning question than anything, not that I could change these guys minds, but I know of several using 101's with Non-Toxic.

One guy even bought a 32" Waterfowler specifically for geese, and he shows it no mercy during season, he makes a hand on whites. Give me some information, and I will convey it.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The 32" waterfowler probably has the standard win chokes in it and is fine for steel shot.

Many of the older 101's have pretty thin barrels and fixed chokes. I don't know for sure that it would hurt them to shoot steel, but I choose not to try with mine. Besides, I think steel shot is crap anyway. Now the hevi-shot is a different story.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.