Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Figure out where you can get 28 gauge steel shot wads first, then get the manual/data to match. BPI may be the only ones but their 28 gauge wads are out of stock.

Precision reloading doesn’t list a 28 gauge steel shot wad.

RSI shows a 28 gauge SAM 1 wad, you will have to call them to see if they are in stock And if they have data,I assume they would.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That or BPI's small bore manual. They have the TPS 28 wad that you want and need. They were out of stock the last time I looked. I have loaded and patterned #4 and #5 steel in my gun. Not bad at 25 yard with a mod choke. Bismuth is another option but more money.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That or BPI's small bore manual. They have the TPS 28 wad that you want and need. They were out of stock the last time I looked. I have loaded and patterned #4 and #5 steel in my gun. Not bad at 25 yard with a mod choke. Bismuth is another option but more money.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Basically for 28ga, the best load that everyone I know is using as a basis is:
131011-5168 28ga cheddite hull, ch209, LilGun, TPS28 wad, 5/8oz #3 or #4 steel shot, 10,500psi 1480 fps

There is one recipe similar for Fiocchi/Fio616.

Most guys using 28ga for waterfowl will load a duplex load of steel and TSS using this load as a basis. Toasty has several posts on this with good results. Several others also hammernhonkers and dakotashooter2. Also bullet225ho. Otherwise the 28ga has an absolutely outstanding load using HW13#6 or #4, with the tps wad, that fits precisely 1oz of that shot with like 1 or no felts, giving 115 #4 pellets for geese or 190 pellets for ducks.

The only steel wad is the TPS28. There are maybe 3 recipes using the HV28 wad with a mylar wrap inserted, but those are 1/2oz so a waste vs. the tps28. Everything is in BPI Advantages manual.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They do have one listed for the Fiocchi hull. It is the one I use. 25 gr LilGun and 5/8(273 gr) oz of Steel shot.
I have a lot of Fiocchi hulls but not any of the fio616 primers. I have lots of cheddite and win, may be I can
Trade Fiocchi hulls for cheddite hulls. Seems like a lot of trouble just to shoot a few dove (****ty state of Ca requires non lead) and cant find ammo maybe I’ll just stick with my bow hunting

·
Registered
607 Posts
Cheddite primer will be loose in the Fio hull unless you try the primer pocket conditioner which I have found does not work for me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheddite primer will be loose in the Fio hull unless you try the primer pocket conditioner which I have found does not work for me.
I tried a load from my book using the same recipe I use with AA’s and the primers were not loose, I don’t know what change would occur if I used ww primers instead of Fio616

1 - 17 of 17 Posts