Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
As in most things in life,you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
First of all, don't confuse heavy steel with Hevi-Steel. :wink: Many different shotshell manufacturers produce steel loads that are "heavy" meaning the load contains relatively more shot that their high velocity offerings. But Hevi-Steel is actually a tungsten-iron alloy made by Environmetal, the same people who produced Hevi-Shot for Remington. Fasteel is also a brand, but it's just regular steel. Thus, if I assume correctly and you're really asking, "Why does Hevi-Steel cost almost twice as much as Fasteel?" the answer is that one contains tungsten, the other doesn't.

Hope that helps,
-Dave

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Dave and the A5 Guy are right. You do get what you pay for but you should only pay for what you need.

Before you go out and lay down a lot of cash for shells, take a serious and analytical look at your waterfowl shooting and shooting abilities. Are you a good judge of distance? Do well over half of the ducks that you shoot at fall where you can retrieve them.

If you are a better than average shot and have the dicipline to keep you shots 35 yards and under, steel shot is adequate to the task. If you are shooting 40 yards and more you should examine the other non toxic alternatives to steel starting with HeviShot.

It is possible to consistently shoot steel on the longer shots and down ducks and geese, but the leads increase rapidly past that almost magical distance of 35 yards and you had better hunt with a good dog.

Remember also that steel and HeviShot pattern tighter than lead and for decoy shooting you may want a skeet or IC choke in the gun and steel #3 for ducks and Steel BBB for honkers. I have pretty much settled on a light mod choke and 1 3/8 oz steel for most of my waterfowl hunting.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
astomb said:
Dave and the A5 Guy are right. You do get what you pay for but you should only pay for what you need.

Before you go out and lay down a lot of cash for shells, take a serious and analytical look at your waterfowl shooting and shooting abilities. Are you a good judge of distance? Do well over half of the ducks that you shoot at fall where you can retrieve them.

If you are a better than average shot and have the dicipline to keep you shots 35 yards and under, steel shot is adequate to the task. If you are shooting 40 yards and more you should examine the other non toxic alternatives to steel starting with HeviShot.

So can I assume there is a performance improvement with each price increase when comparing most inexspensive steel to next jump in price and so on until reaching most costly bismith, toungsten prices?

It is possible to consistently shoot steel on the longer shots and down ducks and geese, but the leads increase rapidly past that almost magical distance of 35 yards and you had better hunt with a good dog.

Remember also that steel and HeviShot pattern tighter than lead and for decoy shooting you may want a skeet or IC choke in the gun and steel #3 for ducks and Steel BBB for honkers. I have pretty much settled on a light mod choke and 1 3/8 oz steel for most of my waterfowl hunting.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I shoot 3" remington steel high velocity (1550 fps?) BB and #2 at ducks and geese and have no complaints. I usually shoot over decoys out to about 40 yds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, Buckeye, I have a new Stoeger pump and they warn against using anything tighter than a IC choke with steel...is that what you use with steel for ducks and geese? I never had screw in chokes before. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Irondog:
IC will give modified patterns with steel in most guns. I often use Skeet for ducks over decoys. IC will work on shots to 40 yards.

By the way, the optimum steel shot size for consistent lethality on ducks over decoys was #3 and BBB for geese.

I hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts