Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
JeanoBambino said:
Hey all, I was given some steel wads and im trying to figure out what they are. Thanks in advance for any help.
JeanoBambino-

I wasn't sure whether or not your images of the wads would play nice with the forum, so I shrunk them a bit. Here's a copy of your image of your wads:

Your wads very much resemble the wads that Herters sold 45-50 years ago. Here are a couple of linked images:

Image linked from trapshooters.com

Image linked from shotgunworld.com (see thread link below)

The obvious difference between the old Herters wads and your wads is the coloring of the plastic. I don't believe any of the Herters wads of this form used pigmented plastic. I think the Herter "Chalice Wad" may have been colored red &/or black..

I also suspect that the shot cup walls may be thicker than on the old Herters wads, although the original Herters were really thick for a wad intended for lead shot.

The form of their wad that was straight sided and had two slits that were joined or stitched at the mouth of the wad was called "Vandalee" by Herters. Unstitched wads were called "Grand Prix", and four-petal wads were called "Fourstar".

Could you reply to a couple of questions, please?

1) What gauge are these? I assume 12 gauge, but perhaps not?

2) The fuzzy photo of a Herters wad was taken from this thread:
Help ID this 12g wad please

Toward the end of that thread I posted some measurements of the Herters wads. The measurements were provided by Herters.
If you have a caliper, could you provide some measurements indicating total wad length and cup depth. A measurement of cup wall thickness would be helpful too.

hanks.
--Bob

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
And for what its worth, the pink and brown look so uneven that I would guess they have been cut down from 3" wads. Might help with the search. Also notice the flat tops, wads out of the mold do not have flat tops, and surely not unevenly cut ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Here are some measurments.

Shortest brown wad - Total height: 1.55 Shot cup: 1.07 Thickness: .046

Pink wad - Total height: 1.57 Shot cup: 1.34 Thickness: .05

White wad - Total height: 1.838 Shot cup: 1.53 Thickness: .041

These are all 12g wads. I dont think any have been cut down. I think the picture was decieving and it appears to be just a little left over plastic from the factory.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
JeanoBambino-
Thanks for taking the time to make the measurements of the dimensions of your wads.

I matched up what you posted with the dimensions of the old Herters wads. Those dimensions were given in the 2012 thread linked in my previous post, and were taken from the original Herters literature. (The results of the matchup are in a code box to maintain the column spacing.)
Code:
Shortest brown wad -   Total height: 1.55   Shot cup: 1.07
5/8  x  1-1/4 oz  -    Total height: 1.545  Shot cup: 1.100

Pink wad -             Total height: 1.57   Shot cup: 1.34
1/2  x  1-1/2 oz       Total height: 1.585  Shot cup: 1.320

White wad -            Total height: 1.838  Shot cup: 1.53
1/2  x  1-7/8 oz       Total height: 1.825  Shot cup: 1.525
Some of your measurements are so close to the old published ones that it's spooky.

I found my stash of a few old Herters wads, and measured the cup wall thickness. They are all about 0.035 to 0.040. This is considerably thinner than what you measured for your wads.

I hope you have the patience for another question: What is the cross-section shape of the posts connecting the shot cups with the wad base cups? Round? Square? Something else?

These are really puzzling wads. Thanks.
--Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob, thanks for your effort figuring out what these are. I have a couple hundred of each and if i can use them id like to! I cut all three kinds and each post is the shape on a +. If pictures would help id be more then happy to post some.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
JeanoBambino said:
I found this receipt in one of the bags. Does any of this info help? Still can't figure out how to get the image in my post, sorry.

On a Windows machine, go to your image and open it.

Right click on "Properties" the go to "Address" the codes there will look like this: http://i.imgur.com/OPKMiTxr.jpg

Copy that address code, then hit the Img button at the top of the editor and paste your address code in the middle

and you get this:

Once you get it figured out it's very simple.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
JeanoBambino-

Your patience in checking the wad dimensions and characteristics is appreciated.

Thanks for checking the cross section of the supporting post. You found they werre molded with a "+" shape. This shape was characteristic of all the Herters wads.

The receipt you found in the bag is helpful, if only for the dates on it. If the receipt is associated with the wads, the dates in October 1974 indicate that these are not wads intended for steel shot. I think the development of components for reloading steel shot began about five or six years later.

If it could be confirmed that Herters sold their Vandalee wads in color, that would pretty well solve their origin. My 1971 catalog does not show either way whether the wads were produced in colors.

These wads have a baffling origin.
--Bob

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Is it possible that when Herter's went belly up that the molds were sold to some 2nd party and they produced the colored wads? If so, then the molds could also have been in bad shape and were polished to allow reuse which would result in thicker colored wads. Plus when injecting plastic into a mold under less than ideal settings plastic can (and does) flow into the mold's venting system resulting in thin "flash" on the finished wad. Secondary operation (out of the mold) may be used to remove the flash via a sharp blade. Uneven top edge of the wads could be from hand operation secondary operations.

Note: For high volume production I would think the mold would soon be tuned up to prevent the flash or the labor cost of hand trimming each wad would greatly slow down production and raise costs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.