Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Mossberg Maverick 88, 20 gauge and Stevens 238A bolt action
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
My brother gave me this shotgun 2 years ago for my birthday,
apparently the previous owner did this "tiger striping" with the stock,which i'm not a huge fan of. I haven't found anyone with a NOS stock, i've checked numrich etc., but i was wondering if there's something i can do to bring it back to a solid color finish, instead of the striping. It looks like paint. but if it's burned in, it's a somewhat shallow burn.
it appears the original stock was a light tan color, so i'd like to get it close to that. Maybe sand it down to a uniform color then stain it? i have no clue. Any local places want 3 or $400 to redo stocks
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Tire Wood
Musical instrument Wood Composite material Metal Art

I found a photo of what it would look like "original", i'd like it close to that.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

Thanks

· Registered
157 Posts
If it's paint try some 0000 steel wool on the dark spots. If he didnt clean it before painting it shoud come off. then if your luck holds lightly go over the rest and buff it with a fine polish compound. See what you can find on line. The original is light if you do have to refinish try just varnish on a small spot to see if it's dark enough with out stain. Varnish may not be the right word. birch-wood casey makes a kit that works well. and I've seen posts on here about a product that has "timber" in the name that seemed very good.

· Registered
Fabarms L4s Initial Hunter Compact
1,210 Posts
TImberluxe. It's said to be good stuff but $12 + $10 shipping... for an easy project like this one, tru-oil (birchwood-casey) might be cheaper if you can get it locally and avoid shipping.

There are great youtube videos on refinishing gun stocks. If you're patient and have space to do some easy sanding with fine sandpaper (you'll need a selection like 220, 320, 400 and 600 and maybe some very fine steel wool) this could be done! The only problem is if the burns are deep... but I bet you can improve what you have there.

· Registered
Mossberg Maverick 88, 20 gauge and Stevens 238A bolt action
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, i've been watching some MidwayUSA videos on stock refinishing.
I did order the birchwood casey / tru oil kit. I found for $16 on amazon. no one had it locally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.