Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these gun decent or not. I'm bidding on a 16 ga and not sure how high I should go. Looked over past bids and seems like I'm getting to the high side. Input from anyone having extensive experience appreciated. By the way don't want to turn this into pro/con 16 gauge debate.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
I've got a Stevens 311H 16 SxS. Nice guns and considered a "blue collar" shooter and they aren't overly refined but are pretty reliable. My Dad has a model 530 from when he was 16 and 50 years later, he still hunts pheasants with it as well as an occasional round of trap or two.

I think I got mine from Gunsamerica for $275-$300 and it was like NEW. You could barely open the action, the triggers were tight, the case coloring was excellent and there are only two small marks in the wood.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Sturdy but heavy. I wouldn't go over $300 for one because you could buy a brand new Stoeger SxS for about $325--and have a gun with perhaps better handling characteristics and finish plus screw-in chokes.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The Stevens 311 (Fox model B's) are a very well built gun. I know a bunch of people that have them, an they give no trouble.

Me personally, I'd rather have one of the 311's than a Stoeger, for one thing the Stevens is made in the USA.

That said, I've seen the prices run the gamut from about $250.00 all the way to $7-800.00, depending on condition.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have one in 12 gauge that I had a bit of work done to it. Barrels shortened and threaded for thin wall screw in choke tubes, butt stock slightly reshaped for me and the metal bead blasted and reblued to a soft matte finish. And QD sling swivels installed. And finally a little bit of shrink wrap over the back of the trigger guard to protect the fingers when firing the front trigger. Had a tritium front bead on it, but took that off.

Although I have much more into it than it's worth, I like it and that's what counts for me. My gunsmith says that parts will be an issue later, have used it for a lot of years in the past and never had any problems with anything not working or breaking.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Eyemissum,

The $700 to $800 end of the range was for a Savage Fox Model B or BSE, right? From what I've seen, there's a pretty big step up in quality between the 311 and the Savage Fox Bs: real walnut stocks with pretty nice pressed checkering, ventilated rib, mid-rib bead, single trigger on the BSE, engraved fox head on the underside, etc.

By contrast, the Stevens 311s I've seen all had birch stocks, solid ribs, and plain metal--solid, utilitarian guns that you wouldn't be afraid to march with through brambles and swamps. I seem to recall that you could buy them new in the early 70s for about $119. My point is that I just don't see the value in paying more than $300 for a used utilitarian gun like the 311 when a new Stoeger Uplander can be found on sale for far less than its $350 MSRP and has real walnut stocks, cut checkering, and screw-in chokes.

Neither of these guns is light, but I don't think any entry-level double is. I think I heard Savage stopped making the 311 in 1983; its replacement today, the Savage 411, is imported from Turkey, I believe. The Stoeger probably is, too.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I got a new 311 20 gauge for Christmas in 1968. I think my folks paid about $85 for it. It was heavy and poorly finished, but never, ever caused me any trouble. I remember killing a lot of doves, quail, and a few woodcock, ducks, and rabbits with it, as well as winning our Forestry Club skeet shoot in 1977. :D :D :D

Some @$$hole stole it from me about 15 years ago. :evil: If there was ever a gun I wish I had back, that is it!

Oh, I wouldn't buy another one. The stock had an insane amount of drop at comb and heel. I would be more likely to by a cheap pump (870 Express or 500 Mossy) if I couldn't spring for a few more bucks to get a serviceable double.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Bonsa, one of the guys I shoot with (Equismith) has a 311 .410 with walnut stock an forearm. Solid rib, double triggers. Nice little gun. I looked at 5-6 311's at a gunshow recently an they all had walnut wood, not birch. Go figure.

My brother has a Fox model B .410, same configurations. really hard to tell them apart. Except for the engraved fox head. This little gun cost less than $80.00 brand new. He received it for a Christmas gift from our Dad one year. Probably in the late 50's. Tough little gun to shoot skeet with, choked full an full. :lol:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bonasa
I read in a Blue Book that the 411 is from Russia. Could be, if it is still being made, it now is Turkey since Remington is importing the Baikals,

·
Registered
202 Posts
Guten Morgen to everyone,

Say, the Fox/Savage it a work horse. It is well built.
Awhile back I found one at a Pawn Shop for a $167.00.
It was a little rough; bluing wore and stock had brass tacks on
it for some type of pattern. Forearm good. That all could be
fixed.
The barrel's solder was intact, no cracks. The action lock up was still tight. Action opening lever, still a little bit to the right. Barrels clean. No rust.
A week later it was gone, I'm sure some Cowboy Shooter bought it and probably cut the barrels shorter.
I kick myself for not buying it.
Good luck in what ever you buy.

Auf Wiedersehen

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Man, you should have jumped all over that gun. Like they say though, "you snooze, you lose".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Savage-Stevens 311H 12 ga in 1983 brand new vent rib, 24 in barrels, ordered it with mod/improved cyl. Use it for upland game & duck hunting on small ponds. Good gun and served me well over the years. :D

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Thanks for resurrecting this. It gives me an excuse to show my old pic.

That's the gun I got when I was 14 (42 years ago). I chopped the barrels to 24", removed the pistol grip, and slimmed the forend myself when I was about 18. The picture was shot in about 1979. My hair is a little shorter and my gut is a lot bigger than it was then. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just for the record I bought this 311 this spring for $350. It's condition was almost new in the box w/o box. Walnut stock and forearm very tight, no wear to be seen. It's a 410 w/ double triggers
Quality is not like my Kolar or even my Browning O/U's but I've owned other 311 in both 12 & 16 ga. I don't think you could wear one out.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Bonasa-I have to let you know that a 311 is a better built gun than a Stoeger Uplander, choke tubes or not. I have owned over a dozen, and still shoot 1 20 ga. and 2 12 ga. guns. If you want a nimble handling sxs the 311 is not it. They are built STRONG. For a well built, light, good handling sxs you can add Another $1000.00 or two. Might as well get an AYA #1. Used you can pick one up for under $10,000.00. I hope you get the general idea. A like-new 311 for $350.00 is a steal. They stopped production in 1989 I believe, and the world is still full of them. That says something. :)

·
Banned
30,310 Posts
I've owned a bunch of Stevens doubles over the years. I've found them to be reliable, easy to work on, and cheap. Don't expect Parker, AH Fox, LC Smith, or Ithaca quality from one, nor even Nitro Special goodness,,,but they work for occasional hunting or clays.

In buying them, avoid the trashed ones (far too many nice ones seem to still be around) and you want the older ones. Until about 1960, build quality was really not much below a Nitro Special, and you'll find well struck barrels, walnut stocks, all steel parts, and decent if not good finish. Quality starts declining in the 60's until by the last ones in the 80's you'll get chair leg grade birch stocks, plastic, aluminum, and black painted actions with rough edges everywhere. The last ones still worked,,,but only a Mother could be proud of them.;)

Don't forget the pre 311's,,,called the 315's,,,and the fancy 311's weren't just the Fox Model B's,,,the 5100 models may well have been the best ones they ever made.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts