Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a package deal with a brand new Winchester Super X3 and the seller threw in a Stevens 512 Silver Gold Wing which is in PERFECT condition and has I am guessing less then 200 shots through it. I am wondering how much this gun is worth. By the looks of the gun I think I hit the jackpot. I wish I was more familiar with Over/Unders and the best makers. I am more of a semi-auto and pump kind of guy. Never really needed an O/U. Any idea?

·
Registered
22,720 Posts
I believe he threw it in the deal so he did not have to throw it away! They are not a very good gun. You may find someone who has had good luck with one, but they are few and far between.
Welcome to SGW

cdb

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I wouldn't buy one but a guy at the range has one and he isn't a maintaince guy to say the least. No problems in almost a year. You got it free shoot the crap out of it and let us know how it works out

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
The general consensus seems to be that Mossberg, Stevens, and Stoeger are lesser quality, entry-level O/U's. Some people swear about them, others swear at them.

As far as price goes, there are a bunch of used Gold Wings on GunBroker. Average price is around $375.

My advice, shoot the heck out of it (just like I'm doing with my Stoeger Condor), have fun, and see what happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I have been doing research on them for the couple of days I have had it. It looks like brand new they go for about $665. Now I am not stupid and I know if I were to sell it I couldn't get that price for it but the gun is in great shape and in like new condition and I don't think it has lost much value. I just can't decide if I should sell it and and look at it as getting the SX3 cheaper or if I should keep it around for clays and pheasants until I have kids and pass it on for them to toy around with.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Shoot the heck out of it and let us know how it works out. Good or bad. They never sell for the msrp of $665. New ones on Gunbroker sell for around $475 and used ones sell for $350 or so depending on what gauge it is. They have such a bad reputation that they just are not worth much money, but there is a chance that Stevens has fixed the problems they have, but there are no hard shooters here who have owned one lately. So no one really knows, and its hard to get someone to shell out the cash to find out when there are other guns in the same price range that are solid.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yes, you certainly aren't going to get new price for it so I too would shoot it and see how it holds up. Maybe you got a good one although you do wonder why it hasn't been used much to start with and why he gave it away?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I doubt if the dealer gave it away. Used 512s are hard to sell, so I would assume the dealer added a few extra $$ in the price of the other gun to cover it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys. Forgot to mention it was a private seller. And the SX3 only cost me 800. I mean I did not expect the gun to be of great value for him to give it away with the SX3. Though his reason for selling is because he is getting out of hunting (just shows he is crazy) and needed to get rid of a lot of his equipment. Either way I got a free gun out of the deal that I can either make a little of my money back on or shoot a few pheasants and clay birds with. Or I got a free gun to test out for all the enthusiasts on here lol. In the end I feel I made out just fine.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
You got a nice deal. As for the 512 you could sell it and put a few dollars back in your pocket.
If it was me I would use it for a hunting gun. Hunting guns are not shot much and it will last you a long time.
If you shoot the gun for clays and shoot a lot it will not last. I shoot with a guy that had one and the gun got very loose in one year of clays shooting. He took it to a gun smith and ask if he could tighten it up. The answerer was no he couldn't You got your moneys worth out of it. He called it a though a way gun.
He now has a used Browning sporting clays gun and traded in the 512 on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Very helpful. As I said I am not an O/U guy, never bought one, probably never will unless i find a good deal or feel that my other clay guns are not getting the job done. Before I decide on what to do with it I am gonna shoot it and see how it feels on my shoulder. Plan on shooting it today after work actually barring rain here in Illinois. I'll pay close attention to the details and give a good review to all the followers of this post.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The Stevens gun didn't cost much and that is about how much it is worth. It is a pretty little gun and if you decide to keep it you can get your moneys worth out of in a year or so of hunting. If you seldom shoot it it may last for years and years and you can pass it along to the next generation. It won't gain any value and they won't be able to sell it and retire early, but it could be a pretty wall hanger, or occasional shooter for them. There is not a thing in the world wrong with that. The gun will not however stand up to heavy use and that is where the problem comes in. 75 years ago a guy could buy a very good shotgun for around $25 bucks and shoot it a lot and pass it on to his son who could do the same and the old gun would hold up pretty good. Well times have changed a lot an not too many things are made like they use to be and this shotgun is one of those things. So how this gun holds up through the first few dozen boxes of shells, will hopefully not be an issue. What it is like after a few hundred boxes is what must of us expect to be pretty much worthless.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The Goldwings have a nice feel in the shop but sometimes it's the little things that just cry "Cheap." That glued on bird on the side reminded me of General Patton's quote about pearl handled revolvers. Savage makes some of the most accurate and reliable firearms on the market and many of them are not built for looks. You would think if they were going for a low price point in a shotgun they would have concentrated on quality innards, not costume jewelry bling.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Shane sx3:

I own a Stevens 512 Goldwing 12ga O/U. The previous responses to your post are pretty accurate. After the first broken firing pin, the gunsmith mentioned to me that this will be a continuing problem because the firing pin is encircled by a softer metal ring than the actual buttplate and hence firing pins break. This prompted me to do more research regarding this shotgun and discovered that there were a few other problems that were common to this model. Won't go into that detail however when I returned this gun to the place I purchased it to sell on consignment, the manager had 3 already and refused to take mine. I am now keeping it in case I need an extra shotgun at the clays field because all my problems have been with the upper barrel firing pin not the lower one. Whatever you do with it good luck!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I own one. Bought used so no warranty option. Looks beautiful, but mine has many problems. Firing pins are spalling. Metal of receiver is very soft and showing appreciable scoring and wear. Extractor doesn't close correctly and bottom shell catches on bottom firing pin hole,must be pushed with thumb when closing.

You got it "free", Might be good for several years of hunting. Enjoy it as a hunting gun. I would not recommend it for clay shooting. Some have had good luck, mine has been dismal. Got a used Rem 11-87 that works much better. Tried to save a buck--didn't work out.

Good luck and good shooting!

PS Shane you got a wonderful deal. I am not trying to rain on your parade. I am trying to warn potential buyers to do their research and search this forum. I now know of several longtime posters(one works in or owns a gun shop) who give excellent advice. Wish I had found this wonderful site before my purchase.

Enjoy! Ain't shotguns the greatest !!!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I want to update what I reported earlier about a friend with a Goldwing not having problems in a year os shooting. Today shooting skeet he had a double then a failure to fire, looks like the begining of the end

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well guys, I have shot the gun four times now and have put about a dozen boxes through it. No problems so far. Of course I am crazy about cleaning my guns and have made it spotless after every shoot which can surely increase the life by at least a little. I like the feel of the gun and the trigger is a perfect fit for me. got offered 400 bucks for it from a dealer so might take that up or might tuck it away until its time to flush pheasants.

PS, I also shot the SX3 all weekend. LOVE IT! everything about it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.