Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Does anybody have any experience with the Stevens 555?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've been looking at them in 28 and 20ga. Was very close to buying the 20ga.
Friend had one in 12ga at the skeet range 2 weeks ago, let me shoot it.
First, on his gun you could only shoot "doubles" if you shot the low barrel first (I think), if you shot the top barrel first it wouldn't fire the bottom barrel. He thought that was normal, I say "jacked up".
Second, it double fired on me on my 3rd shot. Of course I was holding it firmly and welded to my cheek and shoulder, since I was trying the gun out for a function check to purchase!

I was very disappointed, as I'd narrowed it down to the 555 from about 10 different options...back to square one! Hopefully someone will post here saying that the barrel selector on that gun WAS jacked up and that you CAN shoot 2 shots in either order with the gun if it's working right...

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Dave in AZ said:
First, on his gun you could only shoot "doubles" if you shot the low barrel first (I think), if you shot the top barrel first it wouldn't fire the bottom barrel. He thought that was normal, I say "jacked up".
Second, it double fired on me on my 3rd shot. Of course I was holding it firmly and welded to my cheek and shoulder, since I was trying the gun out for a function check to purchase!

I was very disappointed, as I'd narrowed it down to the 555 from about 10 different options...back to square one! Hopefully someone will post here saying that the barrel selector on that gun WAS jacked up and that you CAN shoot 2 shots in either order with the gun if it's working right...
If they have Academy in AZ the Yildiz SPZ is better han th 555.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dave in AZ said:

My Stevens 555 in 28 gauge shoots either bottom or top barrel first with zero problems with the opposite barrel going off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ksween said:
Dave in AZ said:

My Stevens 555 in 28 gauge shoots either bottom or top barrel first with zero problems with the opposite barrel going off.
I have the ATI Cavalry SX which is made by the same company KOFS in Turkey. Mine will also fire either barrel with the selector without doubling. I haven't really ran it through the paces yet though, only about 250 rounds through it at best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.