Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stevens Model 311 I am trying to get more info on.

One side says: Stevens Model 311
Savage Arms Corporation
Chicopee Falls, MASS U.S.A.

On the Barrells: SELECTED FORGE STEEL
Proof Tested 12 Gauge
2 3/4 inch chamber

In front of the trigger is an "I" in a circle

On the other side is a very small number that read 5100

Can you please tell me anything about this shot gun and the possible value.

Thank you so much.

· Registered
550 Posts
A couple of rule-of-thumb age guidelines for your 311:

"Savage Arms" markings- made after 1948-9, prior to that, Stevens guns were marked "J Stevens Arms Co."

"Chicopee Falls, Mass USA"- made before 1960-61 when Savage moved ts entire operation to Westfield, Mass.

· Registered
3,765 Posts
That's about the best and all information you can receive. There is no published serial number- year made tables for Savage/Stevens made guns. There is a Stevens historian you can write and ask and he charges $20.00 per gun as a research fee but much of the companies information was lost in a fire during the 1920s.The historians address is:
Mr. John Callahan
Arms Historian
P.O. Box 82
Southampton, Ma 01073

· Registered
836 Posts
Stevens 311s were made from 1926-1945.

Later Stevens (1949-1970) had a Date Code. It was a Capital letter with a number in a small circle. It is located between the hinge pin and trigger guard.

There were lots of models some fancier and more valuable. For the base model, from the Standard Catalog of Firearms, 2009:

"Model 311A-Hammerless Boxlock
NIB Exc. V.G. Good Fair Poor
$925 525 450 350 250 200"

You can try the 'Historian' however since the records have been lost he is unlikely to have them. Your $20.00.

· Registered
1 Posts
I also have one that has a stamped Eastern Arms Company 101.7 on the left side with nothing on the right. It has a checkered stock and forearm with internal hammers. It was my Dads and it has 11 HZ stamped on all the parts. with a capital "B" no circle stamped on the lug between the barrels and all the other parts. I did notice a number 3 on the opposite side of the B on the receiver. I Just curious how old it might B and if it is truly a 311 or 5100 varient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts