Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle, who passed away in 1984, bought my dad a Stevens Model 311 (12 Gauge) with a "tenite" stock for his 13th birthday. My dad and uncle were very close. My dad lost track of the shotgun when he was in the Marine Corp. (1967 -'70) and always wished that he still had it.

I just picked one up for him as a Christmas gift. I was hoping someone could give me more information about this model with double-triggers and cast aluminum trigger guard:

Left Side:

Stevens Model 311
Savage Arms Corporation
Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A.

Right Side:

Underside:

Looks like sometype of "arrow" symbol? There are no numbers.

Barrel:

Selected Forged Steel

Proof Tested - 12 Gauge
2 3/4 Inch Chamber

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim18611865 said:
Likely made in 1946,47, or 48'.
Came with 26",28", or 30" barrels.
What else are you looking for?
What years did Stevens make the M311 w/ a tenite stock? Did the tenite model change at all during it's available years? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Not sure if the plastic stocks changed, but they were offered on several if not all models. I believe the tenite was only made in the 40's. Yours with the markings 311 puts it in the later part of the 40's. In 1949 Savage started putting a date stamp on their guns. Yours may have one. It is a very small oval with a number and a letter inside the oval. Savage also did not make sporting arms during the war, unless you consider a Thompson a sporting arm.
[/b]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim,

Thanks for all of your input! The gun I have has no date stamp. Thanks again for the info...

·
Registered
222 Posts
During WW II, when wood was scarce because of the war, tenite stocks were the norm. They will kick the shortening out of a biscuit. Light but durable. I shot quite a few of those and have the shoulder wounds to prove it. They will put a purple hurt on you. The metal and quality was good but I would swap the tenite out for wood. It won't cost much and you will enjoy shooting it more, IMO.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
Tentite -- Tentite first appears in the 1940 Stevens/Springfield/Crescent-Davis illustrated price list on the Stevens No. 530M double. The No. 530 with a walnut stock had a dealer's price of $19.30 and a suggested retail price of $24.00. The No. 530M had a dealer's price of $18.20 and a suggested retail price of $22.75. For $3.25 extra either could be had with a non-selective single trigger. Offerings were the same for 1941 with prices up about $2 across the board.

Post WW-II the Tentite offerings expanded to include the Model 94 hammer single barrel, the now Stevens Model 311 double barrel (pre WW-II the 311 was a Springfield) and the Model 22-410 over & under. Also for 1948 the new Stevens Model 124 Cross Bolt Repeating 12-gauge Shotgun was introduced with the Tentite stock. Offerings were the same for Tentite stocked guns in 1949. By 1951 the only such stock still offered was on the Model 124 and the name Tentite wasn't mentioned, just "durable service-proven molded plastic." By the 1952 catalogue everything is walnut or walnut finished hardwood.

Of interest in these period catalogues they show a fabulous presentation Model 99. The 1948 catalogue says it was presented to "His Imperial Highness Shahpur Mohommedreza Pahlavi of IRAQ by the late President Franklin D. Rossevelt." The 1949 and later catalogues correct this to IRAN.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.