Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any opinions on this firearm? Are there other side by sides in this price range ($350-$500) that are better for dual purpose hunting and clay pigeon shooting? Any reply is appreciated...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Here is my opinion. I would pass on any double barrel costing less than $500. Also my opinion is that a side by side is not the best configuration for target sports.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, Pumper...I guess I should have said occasional clay pigeon shooting...I plan to get an O/U that will be used more for that. The primary purpose would be a field hunting gun that I wouldn't be afraid to use...

What would the side by side models over $500 offer (other than better wood/finish/engraving) that this one wouldn't?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
First, they would not be Russian. They would not be made in a factory by workers who could just as easily be putting together lawnmowers or sewing the hair into dolls. The metal would be stronger and so wear less, as in keep working longer. The barrels would be more apt to point in the same direction. The tolerances of the working parts as well as the chambers would be tighter. It would come with better chokes (other Russian doubles have chokes not rated for steel shot). You get what you pay for. You might buy the Stevens and shhot it for a while then want something a little better, why not save the trouple and money and start out with what you will be happy with for a lifetime, which is how long a decent gun will last.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, Pumper...your response made me laugh; especially the part about the barrels pointing in the same direction. With no chokes in, firing both barrels, I should be OK, right? :lol:

I am actually not as cheap as I sound; in fact, I usually err too much in the other direction. Unfortunately, I am also anal about the way I keep my guns, so I was wondering about a cheapy that I wouldn't cringe about every time I bounced the stock off a tree. Anyway, I decided to go with a good O/U and forgo the cheap side by side for now. Thanks again for the replies...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, gonna buy one. Growing up as a kid in rual Missouri, the only gun I had was a stevens side by side in 20 *****. The model number is worn off but it looks like it said that it was a model 345. Doesn't even have a serial number. Lots of fond memories. From the differences in the pictures, the only thing I can see is that my old one has double trigers. Best upland bird gun I ever ownened, and that includes Brownings, Bennellis, Winchesters and Remingtons. For old times sake, got to have one.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've heard the Steven's 411 were giant pieces of crap. I've held a couple in the store and as for fit/finish I'd have to agree with what I've heard.

If I were spending 300-500 beans on a SXS it would be for a used Stevens 311. I'd rather take my chances there and really not worry about beating the hell out of them. Also in this range is Stoeger and with them you at least have the Beretta Conglomerate standing behind it.

You could also find a Winchester 24 in this price range. Those I've used and although not pretty, they were very solid guns.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.