Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do the old Stevens double barrels rate in terms of quality. Were they budget guns(baikal), average(remignton), or premium pieces? I have heard they were sold at places like sears. I have a chance to buy either an old Stevens 311 for $350, and the local shop has new Baikals for $280 on sale. I'd like to pick up a SxS, they are just so classic. Thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I love to hear of someone wanting a SXS. truly classic in style and easy to swing I think they are great. The stevens 311 like quite a few American shotguns was built and sold as an working class gun with little attention to detail in the since of the finer guns of Europe or the higher class guns on this shore. If the gun is in good shape and on face(dead tight when closed) $350 seems to be a fair price. I don't know about the russian gun. The stevens should not be loaded with too heavy of loads. Asteady diet of 3 1/4 or 3 1/2 dram loads will shurley loosen it up and that will be unsafe. I have three old sxs all 16's and I shoot them quite a bit. However, I only shoot 1oz loads that I load in the 7000-9000 PSI range. If I need more than that I use more modern guns with better locking systems.Good luck and good shooting, Joe

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'd be buying a 12, so then it might not be a good idea to be shooting steel magnums through the old Stevens.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Baikal guns came in varying qualities.The older guns are thought to be of very high standard and are excelent performers.Do not compare the modern, cheaply made products with the original guns made several decades ago.The older the Baikal the better quality it is.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for thinking about me, Jay.Between the hassels at work and this danged "flu bug"...(rabbit hunting), I haven't been able to check on things as much as I would've liked. That, and the fact that my 'puter at home fried last week. But, I'm back and trying to get caught up on all that I've missed. Looks like ya'll have had fun while I've been away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pumper,the stevens/savage are great sxs's...They are kind of plain as they were basic field guns butwere very well made...The prices are pushing up on em as they aren't that plentiful any more.I wouldn't recommend shooting steel in the fixed choketubes though...get some bismuth and you will be in action with one for ducks...

G

·
I STILL SHOOT A SXS STEVENS WITH HAMMERS. I AM CAREFUL WHAT I PUT THROUGH IT AND TRY TO STAY BELOW THE MAXIMUM DRAM LOAD. IT IS A WORKING SHOTGUN AND WELL-MADE. NO IDEA HOW OLD IT IS, BUT IT KEEPS ON GOING. AM TEMPTED TO TAKE IT GOOSE HUNTING, BUT UNSURE ABOUT THE STRESS FACTOR. JUST A DELIGHT TO SHOOT. I WOULD USE IT FOR SQUIRRELS, BUT I ALREADY SHOOT A 16GA WINCHESTER '97.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Pumper,

One of the things to look for in all used SXS shotguns is make sure the opening lever is from center to right of center. If the lever is to the left of center that action is pretty worn.

Check out the 6th picture in the link below

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewIt ... m=11754479

This gun's lever looks to be just around center maybe a little to the right. Something like this should last a long time.

You could get away with loading high brass field loads in there, no problem.

Nice to see someone with good taste in shotguns 8)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Geepers, this post is about the have its first birthday!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new Russian made Stevens is not worthy of the name. Its reappearance is what sparked my interest in the older 311 models. It is one thing to buy a Ford made in Mexico, a Dodge made in Canada, or even a Browning made in Belguim, but a Stevens from Russia just plain doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've got a solid 311 H for sale. 3" steel proof barrels. Mod/imp mod. Nice bluing and only honest wear on the wood. Locks up tight and still have nice case color. $230 shipped to ffl or $220 picked up in the Cleveland area.

Sean
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.