Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post to Shotgun World so let me know if I make any major blunders or break any rules.

I recently purchased a 686 in 12ga. The gun functions properly and I can break clays with it as well as with my other shotguns, a Benelli M2 and Ruger Red Label. What I don't like about it is the sticky recoil pad. It hangs up on my shirt when I mount the gun. Is there any cure for this problem? Is there an after market butt plate in hard plastic?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

WPK

·
Registered
906 Posts
For a fix that cost mere pennies, wrap the sides of the pad with black electrical tape...this will give you a smooth trouble free mount.

Or spring for a Kick-Eez pad and put some Slick-Eez on the side of the pad that mounts against your chest.

Or spring for a Pachmayr pad with the hard plastic heel insert to prevent it from hanging up on the mount.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
...or just give the edge and heel of the pad several coats of clear fingernail polish. Slick-Eez is just extra-thick clear polish.

Do not cover the wholepad with polish or tape. It will slip off your shoulder while shooting.

A hard plastic buttplate is also likely to slip, and will kick you harder.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
You have choices with Beretta branded products. There's the Gel-Tek which has shiny heel/toe areas and grippy in between. I've got one on a 687 and it's much better than the standard rubber thing like you have. Beretta also has a leather covered rubber pad which sounds good but I've never tried one. The other option, and the one I use on my clays gun, is the solid wood plate. Again it's Beretta branded and is available in 2 thicknesses. I can personally vouch that it's not sticky and doesn't slip out of the shoulder. IMO if you're not recoil sensitive, the solid plate makes the gun feel much more controlled and connected than when using shock absorbing pads of any flavour.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Trickster said:
The other option, and the one I use on my clays gun, is the solid wood plate. Again it's Beretta branded and is available in 2 thicknesses.
That's interesting. I've never seen one of those. I wonder if they are available in the US.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advise. I'll try the tape first, just for a quick fix. I'll also investigate the Gel-Tek and the Pachmayr.

I went to the Brownells website and found their after market plastic plates. I ordered one that I can fit myself.

When I started with the shotgun in the 70's I was using my Grandfathers LC Smith and then later a Ithaca 37. Both had plastic butt plates. The way I mount the gun is to slide the butt up into the pocket and fire the gun almost immediately after my cheek hits the stock. For me the butt has to slide over cloth.

Thanks again

wpk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Seamus O'Caiside said:
...or just give the edge and heel of the pad several coats of clear fingernail polish. Slick-Eez is just extra-thick clear polish.

Do not cover the wholepad with polish or tape. It will slip off your shoulder while shooting.
Using fingernail polish just as Seamus describes works like a dream.

Aek

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do rekomend the Beretta Gel-Tek pad..
I shoot Nordic trap and the quic mount is very crusual.
I too felt the beretta "trap" pad was sticky and its hanging up in the vest.
And after i got the Gel Tek pad on my 682, its not a problem any longer. the slicky top in the pad makes it come in place quickly and the softer part of the pad, make the felt recoil wery small.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.