Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
These guys have done some great work! The camera is fantastic. There are still so many misconceptions about shotgunning. I remember reading Jim Dumbo stating swinging the shot gun spreads the pattern, unbelievable. Bottom line there are many non repeatable variables with a shotgun. A tube with a reduction in constriction is just that, a tube with a reduction in constriction. Hell, measure the difference between a modified with various makers, they don’t match.

· Registered
243 Posts
FWIW, in my early reloading days, I developed a 12g load that produced a dense 2 foot shot string, regardless of choke or choke manufacturer. The secret...skip the powder charge (it's overrated anyway) and there you have it. A 2 foot dense shot string, 3 feet in front of your feet, no slomo camera needed, you may even see the last shot pellets roll out of the barrel followed by the end of test confirmation wad.

Now the question, is how do I monetize that? ;)

· Registered
23,907 Posts
Legitimate reasons to get aftermarket chokes
1. Lighter weight
2. Extended/knurled for easier changing
3. Non-stick or other easy to clean tech.
This right here ❗

cdb

· Registered
23,907 Posts
Why would any choke be better than the OEM choke? Who knows more about the gun than the OEM? Such BS.
The Browning chokes that came with my Sweetsixteen are beyond pathetic, not even close to what is on the tube. My factory modified tube shoots between cylinder and Improved cylinder, and I patterned it with 4 different loads. The after market tubes shoot what is printed on them.

cdb

· Registered
202 Posts
One more thing on this topic on a more serious note, Neil Winston also did some testing that is relevant to this discussion. Search "Neil Winston's choke tube testing" if you want to learn more.

· Registered
4,044 Posts
I always thought Pattern master was for camouflage people... Why I've never even considered them.

I can say definitively, that the Carlson's LM in my benellis throw the exact pattern I need. The SK/SK from Carlson's in my 28ga silver pigeon are extended as well, and were cheaper than buying from Beretta. As expected, they pattern very well! The only exception was the extended modified choke that came with my montefeltro sporting. It was excellent right out of the box.

I need to get an extended LM Carlson's for my Sweet 16. In Randy's review, he had mentioned that the listed constrictions from Browning were terribly off. He puts allot of time into his patterning, and I believe he's right. He's a big proponent of Tru-lock but I've yet to try them. Carlson's work so well for me.

In summation, the firearm manufacturer doesn't always have the constriction I need, may not have extended chokes, and can be more money than aftermarket.

I suspect the camo people who pot-shoot ducks with their Mossberg 500's are just fine using the modified choke that came in the barrel when they picked up their gun from Walmart...

· Registered
28,084 Posts
I always thought Pattern master was for camouflage people... Why I've never even considered them.

I can say definitively, that the Carlson's LM in my benellis throw the exact pattern I need. The SK/SK from Carlson's in my 28ga silver pigeon are extended as well, and were cheaper than buying from Beretta. As expected, they pattern very well! The only exception was the extended modified choke that came with my montefeltro sporting. It was excellent right out of the box.

I need to get an extended LM Carlson's for my Sweet 16. In Randy's review, he had mentioned that the listed constrictions from Browning were terribly off. He puts allot of time into his patterning, and I believe he's right. He's a big proponent of Tru-lock but I've yet to try them. Carlson's work so well for me.

In summation, the firearm manufacturer doesn't always have the constriction I need, may not have extended chokes, and can be more money than aftermarket.

I suspect the camo people who pot-shoot ducks with their Mossberg 500's are just fine using the modified choke that came in the barrel when they picked up their gun from Walmart...
You'll like Trulock, their service is great and the product is well made.

· Registered
1,019 Posts
Why would any choke be better than the OEM choke? Who knows more about the gun than the OEM?
Who knows more about an F-150 than Ford? Who knows more about a Sportster than Harley-Davidson? Just because it’s OEM doesn’t mean it’s the best available. That’s why there are often aftermarket industries offering products that improve on OEM components. I agree that there’s not a lot you can do with a choke tube, but examples have been given here of improvements to OEM chokes that many think is worth paying for.

· Registered
501 Posts
These guys have done some great work! The camera is fantastic. There are still so many misconceptions about shotgunning. I remember reading Jim Dumbo stating swinging the shot gun spreads the pattern, unbelievable. Bottom line there are many non repeatable variables with a shotgun. A tube with a reduction in constriction is just that, a tube with a reduction in constriction. Hell, measure the difference between a modified with various makers, they don’t match.
Sadly, a few weeks ago someone told me that fast crossers are harder to hit because your swing speed spreads the shot out more. It’s hopeless.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts