Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a camo patterned shotgun (Xtrema 2) the other day and I found that the barrel is distracting, it blends very easy with the dead grass at the clay course. I perfer the black synthetic stock. The black is much more appealing to me and easier to shoot. That said, is this going to hurt me in the field? What I mean is, are the birds going to flare if they see the black vs. the camo?

It appears you are paying an extra $100 for camo. I'd rather save that money and buy shells and accessories for my gun.

To me it's like buying a Silver Pigeon over a White Onyx. Functionally, they are identical guns, but you are paying for the engravings on the Silver Pigeon receivers. Thus making aesthetics the selling point.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Pretty much the only birds that would flare off are those coming into decoys. They don't see color difference. They are attracted by movement. If you sat still and didn't move or wave your gun around, you and your gun could be decked out in hot pink. I too will add that the bbl, whatever color it is should not be a distraction, as you should be looking at the target or bird and not the bbl or sights. I know that camo guns are trendy, but they kill no more birds than other guns.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Not to cause an argument, but if ducks and geese are not affected by colors why don't you ware a very bright Orange coat when your laying out in the middle of those decoys. They maybe not affected by some colors, but I don't know what they are. Good old camo is the way to go for water fowl.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I agree that animals see movement and reflected light. All birds see color. Many mammals do not see color and this is especially true of those that have good night vision.

Camo stocks and barrels are not needed for most hunting. They are ok, but not a requirement. Are they worth it? it is up to you.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
You won't spook any less game with either a matte or a B/S finish than a camo one. The camo does offer a little more protection and makes clean up on the out side of the gun a snap.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Camo stuff is great, until you set It down.. More than one camo flashlight, gun, coat, gloves, has not made it home. :) ..Instead of camo, I now carry a red or blue small maglight in my coat pocket.. A whitetail will walk right by you if your wearing blaze orange, and dont move... A red hat duck hunting is not a good idea.. Keep your gun low until you shoot, move slowly and little as possible, and you will be fine.. When looking for ducks/geese comming in, dont jerk your head around.. Dave

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I have been hunting for more than 50 years with blued and wood guns with great success. Camo guns are great for gun sales.

·
Registered
839 Posts
It depends on the hunting technique.

I never realized how much a solid black object sticks out until my brother was wearing a black watch cap while laying out in a field goose hunting. All camo with the exception of the hat. Stuck out like a sore thumb. Could pick him out in the middle of a 105 acre field easily. If the gun is going to be covered up in the blind, it wouldn't be an issue.

I prefer to go with a matte finish metal and wood stock or camo for waterfowl & turkey.

You can always fix the all black gun with a little Krylon. :D :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
My best friend in High School hunted every day of the season before coming to school. He wore whatever he was wearing to school - usually jeans, shirt, and a normal street coat (and a pair of hip waders). Camo was pretty rare back then. Usually only available through army surplus stores. We always had plenty of ducks, and I don't think they (the ducks) minded that he wasn't dressed properly.

- PJ

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Anyone who thinks color doesn't matter to ducks and geese hasn't hunted with decoys. Also ANYTHING glinting or reflecting, even for a split second, will make for a GONE flock every time, in my experience. Maybe we just get the finicky birds coming through here, but I doubt it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts