Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have successfully removed dents from many stocks with a wet cloth and a hot iron, however I have not been able to raise a couple of small dings on a 70s model Browning shotgun. Does the Browning finish prohibit the moisture from reaching the wood and therefore render this process ineffective? The stock is in mint condition other that two dents about the size of a small nail head. I'm not interested in refinishing, but would like to raise them if possible.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any stock with a poly/epoxy finish will not raise well under the steam method. This is my experience. IF the dent has a broken spot which allows the water to penetrate below it may raise up. Most of the time not. To raise a dent of this type I have had to remove the finish over the spot via small knife or carefully applied gel stripper. Raise the dent and then refinish the spot. Too may dents and it requires a total refinish of the stock.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick response, that is what I suspected. I guess I will live with the dents.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Two days ago I dropped my Silverhawk and caught it with my knees but pushed it against my workbench and a big ol' wood rasp tang punctured the stock. About 1/8 inch dia and deep.

I steamed it out most of the way but it won't go any more.

Someone on this forum earlier suggested using glycerine on this kind of ding.

I haven't tried it yet but will do so. It can't hurt.

I'll put a drop on the puncture and let it soak in and then hit it with the ol' iron.

Might work for you - if it does let us know!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Where would one go to get glycerine and would it damage the epoxy finish?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You can get it at any drugstore. However, I would follow the suggestions made by DES. above. I steamed out a few yesterday, and they look quite good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts