Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Summit sporting and the finish is a little worn where I cheek the stock. Guerini recommends boiled linseed oil for touch-ups. I have never used it before. Anybody have any feedback on using it on their guns? Thanks.

· Registered
5,362 Posts
There's a video on the Guerini USA site that shows how it's done but there's something odd about the claimed "hand rubbed oil finish". I've found it's better to start by thoroughly cleaning with mineral spirits and 00000 steel wool. That leaves a perfect flat finish but with the grain still filled so I reckon there's some sort of lacquer as a base layer on the bare wood.

But the flat finish comes up really well using BLO very sparingly for a couple of coats.

· Premium Member
2020 Kolar Max Lite Sporting
27 Posts
I have a Summit sporting and the finish is a little worn where I cheek the stock. Guerini recommends boiled linseed oil for touch-ups. I have never used it before. Anybody have any feedback on using it on their guns? Thanks.
Only thing to add from what Trickster said is to emphasize using thin, multiple coats. If you go to thick it becomes nearly impossible to get it to dry properly.

· Registered
Fabarms L4s Initial Hunter Compact
849 Posts
the easiest product to find is Tru Oil, it's boiled linseed oil with stuff in it so the cure time is (they say 4 hours, I use 24 hours)
And use super super thin coats.

You might find the Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner useful too.. since you're already making an order for tru-oil. Think of it as a light rubbing compound and wax. It takes off an overly-cheesy shiny finish and .. it's worth it to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts