Shotgun Forum banner

Stock needs refinishing

4310 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  GordonSetter
At the top of the stock of my Sportsman 58, near where the stock meets the receiver, some of the finish has been rubbed off, worn off or delaminated off the wood. What's the fix? Is there some sort of lacquer or finish that can be applied to refinish and protect it?

I ask partly because I recently brought the gun by a Las Vegas area gunsmith who looked at it and told me "I'll get back to you" - that didn't instill a sense of confidence (course around here not too many guns have wood in them).

Any help would be appreciated.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
SIMPLE FIX!
You treat gun stocks as fine funiture (they are walnut) simply remove stock and forearm, use a quality stripper, use sanding blocks with your paper,240,320,400, 600, apply a quality finish such as tung oil, teak oil, linseed oil, tru-oil also works fine, 8 coats with buffing in between, wax, and you now have a finish that will last another 50 years , any problems or questions I can go in to greater detail.

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.
SHOTGUN WORLD
Thanks, Ron. Any suggestions on what type of wax?
Not to gainsay Ron, but I'm not so sure I'd put wax on top of an oil finish like tung or linseed. The two don't mix well, and you're likely to get a gummy residue that'll surface when you sweat on the gun (eg, under your shooting hand). Just the oil alone should be sufficient for a final finish. I prefer linseed, as it dries fairly hard.

If you do use wax, or choose to put wax over a hard finish like polyurethane, you can use Butchers, Bowling Alley, or a hard carnuba wax.

-- Sam
I'm not so sure I'd put wax on top of an oil finish like tung or linseed. The two don't mix well
Thats why he said to strip and sand it first.

Anyone know of a person that will make a custom stock? I need a thumbhole stock and a matching forearm for my Saiga12.
GordonSetter said:
I'm not so sure I'd put wax on top of an oil finish like tung or linseed. The two don't mix well
Thats why he said to strip and sand it first.
Not to get too persnickity, but if you reread his post he says to sand it, (re)finish it with an oil, then put wax on top of that. That has always been a no-no to me, on anything from furniture to guitar necks to gunstocks.

-- Sam
Ron knows much more about this than I, but in my personal experience in using sandpaper to strip is that you may remove too much wood inadvertantly. I read somewhere to use stripper and 0000 steel wool.

I don't know if either method will alleviate the need to possibly re-fill the pores.

Is there a "spell check" that I'm missing?
My bad sorry your right. :oops:
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.