Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything special I should know about removing the forend and butt stock from my wingmaster (new), any special tools etc? The recoil pad seems to have two really small holes where I guess there would be screws but too small for a screwdriver to fit into. Also, the forend has a cap on the tube that seems to require a very large screwdriver or such. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
whiteowl said:
Is there anything special I should know about removing the forend and butt stock from my wingmaster (new), any special tools etc? The recoil pad seems to have two really small holes where I guess there would be screws but too small for a screwdriver to fit into. Also, the forend has a cap on the tube that seems to require a very large screwdriver or such. Any help is appreciated.
The best thing to do is get a parts diagram, probably from your owners manual that came with the gun. If you don't have one you can get it from www.remington.com.

Here is a direct link to an 870 diagram:

http://www.remington.com/support/parts/870parts.htm

I did this last year when I put a new camo stock on my 870 Express.

For the butt stock:

The 2 little holes you see in the recoil pad have 2 phillips head screws tucked in there. Get a phillips screwdriver and insert it into each hole and twist counter clockwise until you feel the screwdriver settle in. Unscrew these 2 screws, they probably won't come all the way out because of the pad. This will get the pad off. You will then see the retaining bolt. Use a ratchet and socket, with an extension to remove this bolt. The stock should come right off. If it is a wood stock there is a steel spacer where the stock meets the receiver. If you are putting on a new glass stock you won't need this. If wood is going back on you will need it.

For the fore end:

It is probably a good idea to remove the entire pump from the gun. If you don't know how to do this go to the "before & after the hunt" forum and see what I wrote in "care and feeding of ones shotgun". It is pretty simple to do. Pump the gun all the way open. Remove the barrel. Look at the action bar retainers just under the barrel port in the receiver. These are 2 little steel protrusions that sort of hook out. Press the loading tab all the way up and press on these retainers one at a time while pulling the pump assembly out. They are staggered so you don't have to do them at the same time. The whole pump assembly will slide right out. It's a little tricky the first time you do it but you'll see what I mean when you try.

The "cap on the tube" does not require a big screw driver. You can actually use a standard size flat screw driver to get this off. Stick the screwdriver into one of the slots on this cap and twist counter clockwise. That whole cap will begin to screw off. The tighter the screwdriver fits into the slot the better. I found that my cap wasn't in there all that tight. It was more like very snug. Once you get this all of the way out, the forend will slide right off.

While you're at it, take out the trigger assembly and clean the receiver. If you hunt a lot with that gun you'll find all sorts of stuff in there. DO NOT TAKE APART THE TRIGGER ASSEMBLY!!!

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Budd! Now, the remington grip cap shows a screw on the bottom (in the parts diagram) that holds the cap in place yet I don't see a screw. Is it possible that it's glued on?
Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
161 Posts
whiteowl said:
Thanks Budd! Now, the remington grip cap shows a screw on the bottom (in the parts diagram) that holds the cap in place yet I don't see a screw. Is it possible that it's glued on?
Thanks for your patience.
If you're talking about the pistol grip cap, there should be a screw there. If not I don't think they would have glued it on. It could just be snapped in there some how, to cover the screw. I haven't seen a new Wingmaster in a while. My old Wingmaster used to have a screw there.

Are you refinishing the gun? If not then that will have no bearing on removing the stock. I really don't know at this point, without seeing it anyway. I'd hate for you to scratch things up but if you have a real small fine screw driver, that cap cover, (used to be a duck on mine) might just pop off if you kind of pry up underneath it. Again, I really don't know at this point. You may want to contact Remington. You can do it on their web site but they may take a week to get back to you. Maybe you could get someone on the phone.

Let me know if we're talking about the same thing.

Budd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is the pistol grip cap. It appears have no visible screw that I can see. It is a new Wingmaster and has the "Remington" logo on it. I am just going to have the high gloss taken down a notch or two. It seems that it has been glued on, however, I may take it in to a smith and they can tell me before I scratch things up. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had an 870 Wingmaster many years ago and do not recall ever having to use a screwdriver to remove the fore end cap to get the barrel off.

It had a knurled cap that was removed and replaced by hand effort only.

(Just re-read the above posts and maybe you're question does not refer to barrel removal...)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I was referring to the pistol grip cap, which on the new wingmasters, is glued on and then appears to be sprayed over with finish (unless this things a really flush fit!), no matter as I'm getting the stock re- done professionally with a satin finish.
Personally, I hate the high-gloss finish, it's like carrying a mirror around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.