Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate comments and or instructions on removing the stock on my Magnus Sporting Limited? I have used the Guerini provide key to loosen the bolt, but the stock remains firmly attached.

Are there additional steps, screws etc? Or do I just need to give it a bump with the appropriate mallet?

I am removing it to do some refinishing of the stock.

Thanks in advanced for you time and response.

Steve

Magnus Sporting Limited.
Magnus Trap Combo Top Single.

· Administrator
23,816 Posts
If it was mine, I would keep the stock bolt engaged by several threads, leave the wrench in place and lightly whack the top of the wrench with a mallet. It should move more easily after the stock starts to move.

· Registered
8,467 Posts
The stock are hard to come off. You my need someone to help you hold the gun. The first time you take off the stock. You have to move the stock up and down very slow and pull straight back. It will come off. The next time it will get a little easier because the finish on the stock is not sticking to the metal.

· Registered
2,332 Posts
Wish I'd had Curly's advice the first time I took mine apart. I've had it apart twice due to having to shoot in the rain. Second time was easier than the first. In addition, getting everything re-aligned and putting it back together is not a walk in the park either.

For those who do have to shoot in the rain, I strongly recommend disassembly as I've found moisture under the wood, in the action, both times.

KK

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate all the input, I will update my findings when I make the move.

Anyone know what type of screw heads Guerini uses for the recoil pads. I will now doubt need to remove this while refinishing my stock.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Findings:

Curly's advice was spot on. Three or four good hits with my wooden mallet dislodged the stock enough that it was an easy process to then pull apart.

Medium Philips head screws on the recoil pad.

Appreciate all of the valuable advice.

· Registered
149 Posts
The screws that I have seen lately on the recoil pads have been Posidrive heads. Although they look like a #2 Phillips they are not. Look at the screw head to see if there are tiny cuts between the flutes of the screw head, if there are then it"s the Posidrive.

· Registered
2,332 Posts
Okay then, for the mechanically challenged among us, what does one need to handle Posidrive screws? Some kind of Posidrive bit I assume but could you be a bit more specific? I can keep your computer running day and night for you but I have no idea what a Posidrive screw is.

Thanks,

KK

· Administrator
23,816 Posts
Clayshutr said:
Thanks Curly, for the education. I'll be getting one of those.

KK
Snap-On guys keep them on the truck, but that may not be convenient and will be $$$ :mrgreen:

· Registered
173 Posts
After reading this thread tonight, I finally got the stock off of my Summit Trap. They provide about 6 various allen head wrenches, so of course the invisible screws holding the buttplate on are Phillips or Posidrive. (A medium phillips worked fine). Then, the long t-handled allen wrench to take the buttplate off didn't fit in anything at all. After pulling the buttplate, I found that the recess for the allen was full of rubber and plastic from the buttplate. After digging that out, the allen wrench finally fit. The screw holding the buttstock to the receiver is captive, so it just turns, but doesn't move relative to the stock. That means that it actually pushes away the receiver as you turn the screw. What an ordeal, and all because when I left my gun in the rack next to the clubhouse door while shooting some skeet, the caretaker started the sprinklers in front next to the clubhouse! I had visions of what my Browning Citori looked after three days of shooting in the rain during the first Colorado PITA State Shoot. A block of rust. Fortunately, the Caesar wasn't bad at all.

Jeff

· Registered
3 Posts
After reading this thread tonight, I finally got the stock off of my Summit Trap. They provide about 6 various allen head wrenches, so of course the invisible screws holding the buttplate on are Phillips or Posidrive. (A medium phillips worked fine). Then, the long t-handled allen wrench to take the buttplate off didn't fit in anything at all. After pulling the buttplate, I found that the recess for the allen was full of rubber and plastic from the buttplate. After digging that out, the allen wrench finally fit. The screw holding the buttstock to the receiver is captive, so it just turns, but doesn't move relative to the stock. That means that it actually pushes away the receiver as you turn the screw. What an ordeal, and all because when I left my gun in the rack next to the clubhouse door while shooting some skeet, the caretaker started the sprinklers in front next to the clubhouse! I had visions of what my Browning Citori looked after three days of shooting in the rain during the first Colorado PITA State Shoot. A block of rust. Fortunately, the Caesar wasn't bad at all.

Jeff
Return the top lever to the center position and it won't hang upon the wood.

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.