Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Kolar for a little over 6 months now and have zeroed in on the fit that works best for me for hitting targets. Unfortunately, in order to center the beads (and pattern) I've had to move the comb to the right (cast off) a significant amount. With the comb in this position, it exposes the corner of the stock where the comb was cut from the stock. My main concern is comfort of this setup against my cheek. I shoot the gun in registered skeet tournaments, so shooting 200 plus birds in a day is normal. I've had a small amount of pain from the setup so far and don't want it to get worse or have it make me flinch.

If I decide to make a stock change, I see a few potential options:

1. I could have the stock below the comb modified to make the transition from the comb to the lower stock be less abrupt. My preference here would be to do the modification myself slowly over time to get it how I want it shooting it multiple times and when I am happy with the results send the stock to have it refinished. I'd probably send it to Kolar for finishing.
2. I could see if it is possible to have the stock bent for more cast off so that the comb would not have to be moved over as much. I've had a couple of guns bent, but the stocks were not as substantial as a Kolar (I've had Berettas and Brownings done). None of the guns I had done had a high gloss finish like my Kolar has.
3. Get a new stock made instead of modifying the existing stock.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

· Registered
193 Posts
I had the same issue with an aftermarket stock which had neutral cast.
The edge of the lower part of the stock where it was mounted to the cheek was rather sharp, so a little fine grit sandpaper one swipe at a time, it only took me one swipe, and if a touch up is needed, a little true oil goes a long way [smile]
Less expensive and time consuming than bending.
I don't know how more cast would assist in the discomfort area?

· Registered
968 Posts
Making a replacement comb might also be an option depending upon how you have it set. If your comb is up high, a taller version could be made and it could widen at the bottom to smooth off the transition from stock to top of comb.

Stock bending might be a problem if your stock is offset rather than cast.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to make a new comb piece for my existing stock to see if I can eliminate the cheek pain without modifying the stock or getting a completely new custom fitted stock. I was able to make a temporary comb piece today and should be able to give it a try later in the week.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made the comb out of acetal copolymer (Delrin) that I had left over from another project. I decided to use this since I may have to modify it over a period of time to get it how I like it and I won't have to mess with any finishing after mods.This may be the same material that Kick Eez uses for the hard part of their butt pads - looks and works the same anyway. The main downside of this material is that it is a bit heavier than the original comb piece. After patterning and shooting with it a bit yesterday and confirming that it seems to work as intended, I spent some time hollowing it out from the bottom to lose some of the extra weight.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the shape of the new comb and am able to shoot well with it, but I decided I wanted to replicate it with wood. I located some English walnut for a good price and made another comb using the same shape. I had Kolar send me the proper hardware for this one. I had fabricated what I needed for the Delrin one from some brass I had on hand. When I spoke to Kolar to get the hardware, I asked about having them apply their normal catalyzed finish to a comb that I fabricate. They said that would be no problem, so I'll plan on sending the comb to them in the next week or two to be finished.

The wood one is much closer to the weight of the original comb, within about 1/2 ounce. The Delrin one was closer to 3 ounces heavier even after hollowing out the bottom. The weight aspect was not a big deal either way for me though.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I received the comb back from Kolar today and they did a great job on the finish. The wood color and grain for the comb is not as close of a match to the rest of the stock as I had hoped, but it fits and feels so much better. Thanks for the advice (especially from icyclefar) and I'm glad I went this route instead of bending the stock or some other correction.

Typewriter Hood Sewing machine Motor vehicle Automotive design

Flooring Floor Automotive design Wood Gas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts