Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body know Stoeger shotguns? I was planning one for my son, who likes to shoot skeet with me. I'm not sure if it is a good one or not. I have heard a few negative things about the internal parts and their longevity. Any comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Welcome! I have a Condor that has been trouble-free since new, but I seem to be in the minority. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a Marlin model 90, Browning Citori, an SKB, or some other quality gun, old, used, and well taken care of, instead. With that said, I am definitely going to get more than my $350.00 worth of fun out of my Condor! The main thing with them in my opinion is to take the stock off as soon as you get them home and flush out the action and lube it with BreakFree CLP, F-10, or some other quality lube before you even shoot it. It worked for me.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I bought a Condor as my very first o/u purchase when I knew nothing about o/u. It is okay, but the barrels are not selectable, and the action opens very difficultly even after several hundred rounds. Knowing what I know now, I would never have bought it. It's kind of like buying your first guitar at Walmart.

For a great starter gun, for not much more money hit gunbroker.com and an look for a Verona o/u 500 or 600 series. You'll end up with an Italian made gun by FAIR. The condor's are made in Brazil as I recall. A Brazilian gun is sort of like Chinese beer, neither is on the top of anyone's list.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a Stoeger Condor Comp in 20ga and it DID have selective barrels. It was not a bad gun for a field gun. If you plan to shoot a bunch I would just consider another gun.

Hub

·
Registered
885 Posts
LuvGunz said:
Does any body know Stoeger shotguns? I was planning one for my son, who likes to shoot skeet with me. I'm not sure if it is a good one or not. I have heard a few negative things about the internal parts and their longevity. Any comments will be appreciated.
Hey, LuvGunz, welcome to the forum. How old/big is your son? A smaller guy might benefit from a gas gun with a youth stock. Just curious.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dr. Master Blaster said:
LuvGunz said:
Hey, LuvGunz, welcome to the forum. How old/big is your son? A smaller guy might benefit from a gas gun with a youth stock. Just curious.
Thanks for the welcome guys.
I have 2, both around 14. He has tried semi-auto, side by sides and over/under. He likes the o/u only. He's 5' 8" tall, and so, I'm not sure about a youth stock really.

thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Condor Supreme Deluxe 12 GA about a month ago from Gander Mtn. for 399.00. This is not the nicest gun in the racks but is the most economical for the price. My 15 year old son loves the gun and I do too. It shoots straight and I can hardly miss a clay with it. I also have a 1966 Remington 1100 Skeet model 150 th anniversary edition that I shoot and it is in pristine condition. The Remington shoots good don't get me wrong but the o/u to me just feels better and points better. As far as the performance of the Condor I would say when I shoot it it has not misfired with me. My son however has a misfire occasionally and I think it was a trigger issue with him not releasing the finger all the way. I did not take the stock off and clean the trigger assembly but I did put some grease on the hinge areas which made the gun a lot more loose. This gun is mainly for hunting which is its main purpose. I do not think it would hold up to thousands of rounds of shells for clays. I went to Academy sports yesterday and looked at the Yuldiz O/U and let me tell you it is a good looking gun. They start at 400 and 550 and 750 for the Trap model which has nice wood. The man behind the counter said he sold one to a guy that was shooting 1000 rounds a week through it and after 5000 rounds the barrel split on 2 different guns. This was the 400 dollar model. They gave him his money back and said to buy a upgraded gun for that many shoots. The Trap model says it is tested for 25,000 shots. The Condor depends what you are using the gun for. If it is hunting yes, for occasional trap or skeet yes, for lots of shooting no. As most have said on this topic get a Browning O/U or a good auto and shoot it for ever. The Charles Daily's have a lifetime warranty if you want to look at those guns.
Shooting Trap or Skeet as I have been reading are two different types of guns. I have a thrower and shoot trap, bird flying away from you. Skeet is birds flying in different directions, left, right ect.
Gun fitting also depends on length of arm from elbow to trigger finger. I have long arms so some guns feel short. The Condor fits me though I have added a extra pad for more length to the stock. I would probably only shoot 1 oz loads in the Condor, less kick and should last longer with softer loads.
My next gun will be a Browning Cynergy if my son gets into a shooting club. They hold their value and are well built for the money. The Condor will be for hunting only.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Check out some of the post in the Love Stoger section. I don't own one, probably never will. I shot a round of trap with a Condor Competition one once and shot a 23-24 with it. Never previously even touched one. A guy wanted to shoot my Citori Trap and we switched up. It's a shame about the Stogies. I wouldn't want one for targets but, wouldn't mind one for some field use. There is so much bad info about them out there that I can't bring myself to get one. You hear more about problems than good experiences. The Love Stogie section is suppose to be about how you love them, mostly Stogie problems.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Condor Supreme. This is my first O/U. It has selectable barrels and ejectors. I had some misfires, but as one of the posters said above, I may have been indexing the trigger like I do my handguns. I lost the front bead the third time out, but it was an easy fix. The action has loosened up after proper lubricating. I was suprised how well I shot it. I hits what I point it at. I'll be carrying it for the opener of Quail season. I'll shoot it until it is wore out . For the money, its not a bad gun , but I got the O/U fever so a higher quality gun is in my future.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If I bought one to screw around and hunt with a bit and I did run into a warranty issue. It wouldn't be a very big issue to me because I have plenty of stuff to shoot. I sort of feel bad for the guy who goes out to buy it and has problems right out of the box and has nothing else to use.

Lou, what do you mean by indexing the trigger? Never heard of that term in shotgunning.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Spankey,

I shoot a lot with a handgun. Indexing is releasing the trigger only enough until you feel the trigger engage. This reduces the length of slack for the follow up shot. Not all triggers can be indexed.

If you own a Glock, try it the next time you shoot it .

Lou

1 - 12 of 12 Posts