Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you say good about this gun/bad. I have heard mixed reviews.. I heard that if you have a older gun more than two years ago you more than likely had problems. If you have bought one lately more likely to have a decent gun. Just trying to see what others thought about it?

·
Registered
11,366 Posts
Your thinking is dead right! The new style Stoegers have the Franchi I-12 action, which is similar to the Benelli action. They have a high viz front sight and a raised rib at the receiver. Their quality is much better. I have had both the old and the new style 2000. The new design I like much better. The dealers I have talked with tell me that their return rate is nil with them compared to the original.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I have had mine for a little over a year and it has been perfect! It is my favorite shotgun now because of the reliability and because it fits me better than my other two shotguns. I take it with me most times I leave the yard. I love the "inertia" action. It is reliable as a rock and stays cleaner longer than gas autos I've used. I have not had one failure to fire or cycle since new. I live in a rural area and it's pheasant season. Life is very good!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
They've got it right this time. The 2000 new design is a solid performer. I love the way mine shoots. It shot 7/8 oz right out of the box-before I cleaned it up. The factory protective grease that protects the gun on its trip from Turkey has to come out. Takes only a few minutes.

It has an action just like the Franchi I-12 and similar to the high dollar Benelli. Gun Tests Magazine gives it a thumbs up over the I-12. The Franchi has an exterior cosmetically different from the Stoeger 2000. GT states there is no improvement in recoil and less improvement in reliability with the more expensive I-12.

The 2000 is my favorite gun right behind my Franchi 48 20 gauge. The 2000 needs a Limbsaver to be sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a M2000 a couple of weeks ago. Given the price (realtively cheap) and some of the things I read on this site, I had my doubts about whether or not is was going to be a good gun. Ends up it was a great decision. The gun feels great and works perfectly...not a single jam with the first 100 rounds or so. I really believe the key is to thoroughly clean it right out of the box....mine had some pretty thick black oil on the bolt.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I'm kind of upset with mine. . .I sold it to a buddy and I never had a single problem with it. . .only about 200 shells through it, now it is jamming every now and then. (yes, red optic, raised rib, 'newer model') I am not sure what is wrong with it? And he is shooting mags for waterfowl with it too.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
omega-The only thing I would suggest would be for him clean it well, of course (which I'm sure he has), using the manual for a guide. Then oil the he.. out of the bolt and action! The bolt head has to rotate, as you know, and these guns take a lot longer to break in than the manual suggests, IMO. They are made a little rough, IMO because who would buy a Benelli Montefeltro if you could get as smooth an action in a gun for $379.00 or so? The Beretta group, who owns Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, Uberti, Sako and Tikka, is not stupid. Also be sure he cleans and oils the large spring in the forearm. I strongly recommend leaving these guns quite heavily oiled when newer till everything works together perfectly, which it will. But remember, this is just one dummie's opinion.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Neanderthal said:
omega-The only thing I would suggest would be for him clean it well, of course (which I'm sure he has), using the manual for a guide. Then oil the he.. out of the bolt and action! The bolt head has to rotate, as you know, and these guns take a lot longer to break in than the manual suggests, IMO. They are made a little rough, IMO because who would buy a Benelli Montefeltro if you could get as smooth an action in a gun for $379.00 or so? The Beretta group, who owns Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, Uberti, Sako and Tikka, is not stupid. Also be sure he cleans and oils the large spring in the forearm. I strongly recommend leaving these guns quite heavily oiled when newer till everything works together perfectly, which it will. But remember, this is just one dummie's opinion.
I actually had him bring the gun over, I took gun scrubber to it (it was quite dirty) then oiled it with Breakfree CLP. . . .it still failed to cycle one out of the two times the next time out. I told him to go and shoot a bunch of rounds to see if it will work itself out. I am hoping it just needs a little more "break in" time.

·
Registered
11,366 Posts
FYI, the gun has a one year warranty, if it comes to having to ship it back. I read a post on this forum about a guy that had a problem and customer service paid for shipping both ways. Can't beat that for service. I wish the QC folks would do their job. It seems that all gun companies have trouble now and then because QC doesn't do their job functions.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
evbutler said:
FYI, the gun has a one year warranty, if it comes to having to ship it back. I read a post on this forum about a guy that had a problem and customer service paid for shipping both ways. Can't beat that for service. I wish the QC folks would do their job. It seems that all gun companies have trouble now and then because QC doesn't do their job functions.
I won the gun at a Pheasants Forever banquet that was in September of 2006. . . .just over the 1 year warranty. I will still call them to see what they think if we can't get it fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a 2000. Just got my money back. First the gun would not load three rounds. Sent back & when I got it back they had replaced trigger & action. They also used a grinder in the action. Then two times it would not fire & two times it would not chamber the next round. The customer service was very poor. Would not respond to e-mails & put you on hold for hours at a time. They would not send a new gun this time, they put a new barrel on it. I just got my money back. Was not happy with gun at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.