Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After pondering for months, I decided to pick up a used uplander coach gun today. 12 ga, appears to be a stainless receiver, 24" barrels, double triggers, and choke tubes (mod and ic). Gun appears to have been fired only a few times is all.

It has a recoil pad that appears to be factory. So, from what I gather, I have a gun that is a few years old. I noticed on these threads that the quality control issues appear to be on the single trigger models. I hope my double triggered gun will prevent the fail to fire that some experience.

It has a 24" barrel, not a 20" barrel. I was looking for a good quail gun that pointed well. I have a wingmaster for most of the shooting, but wanted to pick up a sxs. I had a 311 in 20 ga as a kid. So, I picked it up for nostalgic reasons mostly.

With the interchangable chokes, the barrel length for pattern sake is a mute point. So, I hope all works out. Does anyone here have any personal experience with the double trigger, 24", interchangeable choke uplander? Lets hear. Thanks,

John

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have some expeience with my 26" uplander. Mine sounds identical to yours but mine has the 26" barrels. I didn't know they made 24" barrels. Anyways, I have been very pleased with mine and love taking it out in the field. The only thing I didn't like was the way the factory IC choke tube performed so I replaced it with an aftermarket tube.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been almost 2 years since I had posted on this gun. Since then, I have only shot 2 shells out of it to function test it. Fired both times. The gun has just been sitting in my safe, through 2 different house moves!

I started thinking of selling it, since I didn't use it. I even posted it on the local online site, and had several inquires. But, the more I started fondling the gun again, I started getting that feeling back that I had when I first purchased it. The gun really points well! So, I pulled the ad off and decided to keep it!

I took 0000 steel wool to the walnut stock. The factory shine was plastic like to me, so I toned it down. The steel wool took the shine off. Gave it a nice satin look. Then I took automobile wax and waxed the stock up. Made the stock look much nicer, and richer.

I have been pondering putting sling swivels on it. It will be used as a bird gun, and I like to have a sling on my bird guns. Looks like Uncle Mikes makes a swivel that mounts on the bottom of the rib between both barrels. Looking at the picture of the swivel, it looks like you have to drill and tap two holes in the rib, and then screw the front swivel's base on. Anyone have experience with this?

I tried to get my buttstock off, but the screw that held it in place wouldn't budge. I wanted to clean out the action to prevent misfires. However, I have only read that the single trigger guns have the problem. Has anyone heard of the double trigger guns having an issue with failure to fire?

I wrote to Stoeger, with my serial number, asking for specifics on the 24" barrel version. I measured the barrels, and they are 24" from the breach face to the muzzle. The current coach guns have 20" barrels, and the uplanders start at 26" From the description in the blue book values, I have the coach gun deluxe due to the stainless type receiver, the interchangeable tubes, walnut stock with checkering and the 1" buttpad. I sure would like to know about the 24" barrels though.

Here are a few pictures of the gun before I detailed the stock today. I'll try and post a picture or two tomorrow of the gun as it sits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I finally got to shoot the gun after 2 years! I hit nearly everything my friend could throw, but MAN SAKES ALIVE, that gun beat my face! It got very uncomfortable. I am an experienced shotgunner, and I was not lifting my head. I guess the shape of the stock just didn't jive with the shape of my face. My 870 Wingmaster doesn't do that to me. I ended up trading it away for a .45 Detonics. Good trade! Hope the side by side works out for him. It swings great and looks cool, but I don't dig pain!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts