Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Wipe off the A-zooms with a CLP, silicone or oil cloth before you drop 'em back in for dry-fire and storage.

Leave 'em at home (less likely to loose 'em that way) for club & hunt trips.

I had a 687 SPII 30" Sporting for 10 years or so. Stored it just as described, plus bore down. Gun was in great shop and brought 100 percent of what I had in it.

I still use snaps for dry fire and/or storage in all my guns: Some A-zooms, some woollies, etc. Zero problems. Never heard a smith or a shop owner say a negative word about the shape of my guns.

Avoid the plastic snaps; they're crap.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I do know of one club that forbade snaps. Guy who thought he was pulling the trigger on a snap wasn't; it was a live shell. He shot the ceiling.

Re woollies, just haven't had that moisture-trapping experience. I do coat mine from the first time out, and they don't go many places (losing snaps is a bummer). Plus, my guns are cleaned (including a bore brush) and lightly lubed often enough that, frankly, the bores and forcing cones are spotless. Always. G-96 happens to be my more protectant of choice, although I don't know that it particularly matters.

I use A-zooms in about 1/3 of my guns. Those primers will indeed dish out over time. I've got some brass and chromed ones with better false primers; just don't want to shell out the money all at once to put them in all of my guns. I acquire a pair when I see 'em or am ordering something else, then I set aside the cheaper ones.

Other than for dry fire, there's a real decent debate whether snaps are needed to let off the spring pressure before storage. Most guys I talk to say modern guns' springs won't take a set, anyway. There's also the option of just pulling the triggers on a doublegun and letting the pins strike a block. Horn is traditional. I've seen guys use wood, too.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
roblack said:
It dosent hurt to dry fire center fire guns without snap caps OCCASIONLLY,like once each barrel after your done cleaning. I was told this by the Browning people themselves. Id rather do this then mess with snap caps and someday mix in a live round.Even if its pointed in a safe direction,its not gonna be pretty if done indoors.
Fair enough. Personally, there are no live rounds in my gun room (they are one room over, in a closet). And my snaps don't travel. On the road, I've lost one or two, and I hate that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.