Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
With the 687, you can use snap caps to release the tension, then remove the forend. Open the gun far enough to remove the caps, shut it again, then put the forend back on. The gun won't cock with the forend off.

This is a good thing to know if you don't have enough snap caps around, for all of your guns.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I've never had an issue at the range
I haven't either, but IIRC at least one person has died, when a friend of his was putting his gun away, and shot him with a live round at close range, because he thought he had a snap cap in the gun.

Of course, even if I know -- know know KNOW -- that I put snap caps in a gun, I don't pull the trigger with it pointing in any direction but one where it would be safe to shoot. That's a basic firearms rule.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I do think that wooly snap caps are limited in value, though I have and use them.

Some guns with unlined chambers in the past were known for getting some rust in them, particularly if you got some sweat on shells while loading and unloading them. Sticking an oily woolly snap cap into the chamber protected them from this rust, and allowed you to drop the firing pin, also.

It is my understanding that modern spring steel loses its spring tension with repetitive use. So putting 100,000 rounds through a gun may weaken the mainsprings. But the springs don't care what position you leave them in. Still, there's something reassuring about taking the tension off them.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Then open the O/U to take it apart don't it reset the hammer spring.
No. All the break-action guns I own don't cock if the forend is removed. That's why, even on an extractor gun, you'll find little moving metal parts either on the forend iron or on the receiver. They mate with a matching part. Those little things are the automatic cocking levers.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Woolly snap caps were made for older Brownings, though. The early Japanese guns were quite rust-prone. Then again, when I had one, I'd just bring disposable Rem-Oil Wipes, wipe off the outside, shove the wipe through the bore with a range rod, and call it good. Never had rust problems, and never used woolly snap caps.

AFAIK they use different steel and chrome-line their chambers now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.