Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Woolly snap caps were made for older Brownings, though. The early Japanese guns were quite rust-prone. Then again, when I had one, I'd just bring disposable Rem-Oil Wipes, wipe off the outside, shove the wipe through the bore with a range rod, and call it good. Never had rust problems, and never used woolly snap caps.

AFAIK they use different steel and chrome-line their chambers now.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
roblack said:
It dosent hurt to dry fire center fire guns without snap caps OCCASIONLLY,like once each barrel after your done cleaning. I was told this by the Browning people themselves. Id rather do this then mess with snap caps and someday mix in a live round.Even if its pointed in a safe direction,its not gonna be pretty if done indoors.
Fair enough. Personally, there are no live rounds in my gun room (they are one room over, in a closet). And my snaps don't travel. On the road, I've lost one or two, and I hate that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just spoke with Ed, the gunsmith at the Beretta Gallery in New York and I asked him this very question. He said I'd be shocked at how many times he dry fires guns with no snap caps in them and he has never had a problem with firing pins. I still cringe a bit at the idea of not having something for the firing pin to strike. But this man really seems to know his stuff and works on guns that range from $1000 to $75,000 and more.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I no longer use my snap caps. On a break action gun, I will open it cocking the hammers then close the action, remove the forearm and separate the barrels from the frame. I then place a block of wood against the standing breech and pull the trigger(s) letting the firing pins strike the wood. With a pump action (Model 12 , etc.), after cleaning and inspecting, I close the bolt on an empty chamber and slide a 3 ft. long wood dowel down the barrel and against the breech bolt, pull the trigger and the firing pin strikes the wood releasing tension on the mainspring.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

·
Registered
60 Posts
Firing spring tension? Hammer spring tension? A little anal, I don't see that it makes a bit of difference whether you leave tension on or not.

As far as dry firing, I do as little as possible regardless. That's where a snap cap would come into play if I want to get that anal.

Someone can quote me and post Newton Laws of Physics, but I'll continue not using snap caps to store and replace a .50 cent spring if it ever "wears out"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Snap cap use is a relevant question because a lot of us grew up hearing that they were critical or seeing others use them religiously. Guns may have evolved to the point where snap caps are somewhat obsolete now, but I still believe a spring is better stored with the tension released.

Because sporting guns can get real expensive real quick, I want to protect my investment, even if the risk is minimal. Ed, the Beretta gunsmith in NYC did say to me that he dry fires the weapons he works on all the time, thereby implying that he believes it's better to relieve the tension on the springs.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I use snap caps on all my shotguns and I use A-zoom only and not the plastic ones and here's why:

One day the wife and I went Pheasant hunting. When we got to the field and it was time to load up, she opened her O/U and there was only one snap cap there. She shrugged and removed the snap cap, then started to load up with 20 Gauge shells. For some reason, I stopped her and took the gun. I looked down the upper barrel and there the second snap cap was, lodged at the end of the chamber with the rim completely broken off by the automatic ejectors. If she had put in a live shell and fired, it would have been disasterous probably, and yes, there was room for it to fit in there.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ka6otm,

Way to be "heads up" and avoid a very bad day!

I've started using more snap caps, A-Zoom red ones, in the last few years. This is after nearly 4 decades of not using them or releasing spring tension. I have been told/read that with modern guns it's OK to pull the trigger on an empty chamber. It still gives anal-me an uncomfortable feeling to hear the empty "clack" though. So for a few $ in my higher end guns I use the caps after oiling them, put 'em in a clean chamber and dry fire, and am more comfortable storing the guns. It's a similar comfortable feeling as when I first stored my guns in a real gun safe and not in closets, just on a much smaller scale!

BB

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.