Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm one of the unlucky that works for a company that prohibits firearms on the property including in our cars. Not worth starting another political thread over, please, its just the way it is based on our business and clientele. Not the end of the world and not something I would risk my career over.

Anyway my solution has been to rent a small storage space to keep it in during the day. The range is only 10 minutes from my office so its very close but I live an hour away so there's no real way I'm going home and coming back. There are several right nearby and would cause me minimal inconvenience. I can store some house stuff there too so its not too too bad. My question is about getting one that is climate controlled or not. The price difference is minimal in most cases in some cases not. I will not have to worry about the household stuff but what about a gun and ammo? It will only be stored there for 8-9 hours at the most while I'm at work, at most 1-2 days a week and *never* overnight. Basically will be going there in the am, dropping off, picking up in the afternoon then taking it home. I guess if I was just leaving it in my car during the day it wouldnt be climate controlled either - so should this really be an issue?

(And if there's anyone in the Chantilly/Centreville area that might need some space, let me know!)

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Since you live in this area, you may have been to PG Trap and Skeet in Maryland. If so, you will see that they have a large out building that is their ammo bunker. Cinder block, a metal roof I believe, NOT air conditioned, and hotter than hell in the summer. The ammo is fine.

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I can't imagine you'd have any problems. I've had hunts and drives home that were the equivalent of a double-shift at work, and I've never had any problems with hot, cold, temp changes, humidity, etc. The only thing I after a cold, damp hunt before a drive home is wipe the gun down with a clean, dry towel before casing it. (Have to case it in Illinois, or John Law gets upset.)

Modern shells are very stable. Sometimes, if I know some have gotten wet during a hunt, I let 'em air dry on a table overnight and wipe 'em with a clean, dry dish rag before reboxing them or throwing them in a Ziplock.

If your worried about your gun in storage during the day, find a hard case you like and throw a packet of dessicant or two in there. At home that night, let your gun come to room temp before you wipe it down and safe it up. You're good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.