Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to duck hunting and my buddy i hunt with is new to the type of hunting we have been trying the last few weeks. We are hunting a marsh behind his house that has a bunch of floating bogs that create small 50 yd and smaller potholes. We have had alot of ducks giving us the look and circle, out of range then look and circle again, few if any are coming in to the decoys. We can notget a john boat into that area, so we are paddling a canoe, and are going with a pretty small decoy spread, maybee a dozen duck decoys two geese, and a mallard mojo motorized decoy.

Here is what we were thinking next: on these small openings we dont think geese will land anyway soskip the goose decoys and use the limited space in the canoe for more duck decoys and another mojo. we have been seeing mostly mallards, wood ducks and geese, afew teal but most of the teal are probably already sounth of us i am guessing. I think we are going to write off geese unless you guys think they can be decoyed into the small openings. We are limited on space in the canoe but could go bring a few more if we pack it right.
How would you guys set up for the small water i am describing?
We pass shoot alot on a little bigger water but, the openings in the marsh here are so small it is very easy to drop birds into no mans land.
Whatcha think?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
What state are you hunting? First thing is to decide whether the birds you're seeing are staging or actively migrating. Birds will stage in smaller ponds but birds that are actively migrating might have a preference for larger bodies of water. I've seen migrating birds land in the middle of the lake in 40 foot of water and sit for a couple of hours then take off and flying again.

If you can only hunt with a dozen decoys, I'd suggest a tight cluster in the middle of the pond. But more would be better and ditch the mojo if it ain't helping.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
On little potholes I would hunt with the wind crossing R-L or L-R. I like the light from behind me if possible. I would run 3-5 decoys like 2 drakes and a hen or 3 and 2. I would use a jerk cord to make ripples on the water and skip the calling if you don't know how or when to call. If it is windy skip the jerk cord. Location is more important than decoy numbers to me. Scout and find where the birds are using. If you are where they want to be, you don't need decoys.

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
If you are gonna drop duck into a 50 yard diameter pothole surrounded by bog and catails, you better time your shots right. Wind at your back and try to shoot em head-on.

I did drop one right into the boat once but that was a lucky shot. It was a tense couple of minutes between pulling the trigger and the bird landing safely in the boat and not in the marsh, lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rubberhead, most of them the birds are we are seeing are flying between a few small lakes snd marshes, i would think they are just staging not actively migrating, also we are seeing mostly small groups of a handfull of birds, but im not sure

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If they're staging, I'd say that you want it to look like a feeding location. That may be hard if the pond isn't offering some vegetation that's interesting to them. Forget what I said about tight packing in the middle. Try a relaxed spread feeding on the lee wind side of the pond.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You may want to try a couple of jerk rigs and get some ripple on the water. Are you pushing birds off your spots when you are going to set up? Nice weather and lots of options for the ducks can be tough. Some times there is a honey hole that the birds like best. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.