Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you sporting guys here are also target setters how about letting us hear exactly how you set a sub ***** course for tournaments. Do you set differently than you would for the main? Do you set differently for each *****? Most tournaments I shoot in, the sub ***** consists of selected stations on the Main course, usually only 50 birds instead of 100. I am curious as to how you pick the stations. What makes a station suitable as a small ***** station? Would you rather set a stand alone sub ***** course or use the selected station format? My preference is a separate sub ***** course of 100 birds. What do you think?.....Thanks....Jack

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
the small bore courses that at least i think are set up well, usually have at least 3 machines/presentations per station and have a menu that each bore gun follows specifically. but rarely are any targets beyond 35 yards. a simple cage change can dramatically change things as well---without so much expense

usually, the main difference in a 28 course and a .410, is the same type targets but thrown as report rather than true.

if the small gauge comp is a side event to a main----and not nationals/open/zone etc, i think 50 birds is enough

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I pretty much agree with Tom, if a side event then 50 birds are enough. The better courses had three traps per station and had shots challenging for the *****, out to 40-45 yards (with the target showing a fair amount of dome or belly) for the 20, 35-40 for the 28 and 30 yards or so for the 410. A mix of report and true pairs were thrown and in all aspects it was pretty much like a main event. The 20 ga was thrown on the 12 ga 50 bird course while the 28 and 410 shared a seperate course. With three traps per station, a shooter would have at least one new target at each station. The worst I shot was one course for all sub-guages and the 50 bird 12 ga event. The only difference was the placement of the 28/410 station was several yards ahead of the 12/20 ga ring. Doing one's best to make each ***** specific event as different from the rest as possible makes for the most enjoyment for me. Going cheap or lazy ruins the whole experience and affects the attitude towards the shoot and organizers.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
At Backwood T.R.A.P.S. http://www.backwoodstraps.com/, the sub gauge is seperate. Three of us usually shoot together and we each shoot a different gauge. Me the 20, one a 28ga 1100 Sporting and the other a .410 o/u. The 20 shoots more true pairs at a little longer distance. The 28 more report pairs and a little closer. The .410 is even more report pairs and closer still. ( More crossers, Outgoing overhead and rabbits)
All three are shot from the same cage with 3 La'machines @ most stations :lol: We have to wait for the trapper to move as we change gauges on him.
The 20 & 28 use the same machines. The .410 has one different on most.

50 Birds too :wink:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have set it in several formats. The main trouble I have is that I have only a certain amount of traps. If I had the same amount of traps as the meadows or nationals I would love to have a subgauge course open each day of the event. What I have done is set a subgauge two ways. First was a 50 targets over half the course (I just don't like this because you are shooting so much on one station it becomes more about focus than shooting skill-just my opinion) and the second was 50 targets over the entire course along with prelim. The ways I vary them were two different shooting stations or different menus. Though, I do not like to simply add distance to seperate the two. I usually focus on the angle over distance. If I can give you some dome on 410 and edge on 20 I am happy even if the 20 is closer.
This is the only option I have. Despite what was said earlier it is not out of being lazy or cheap. If I have to rent machines the prices I would have to charge to recoup would be absurd so I don't. I re-set the entire course over night so I am not lazy. (By the way this is not just a move of a station, change of menu, or a "tweak" of a trap - this is a complete revamping of the course.)
How I pick the targets depends on what shoot. I throw about the same style of targets in the main as I would in subs. However, with sub-gauges I typically stay away from distant targets and on edge. I prefer to throw those in your face and make you miss it.

·
Premium Member
20,026 Posts
Economics usually rules how the sub-gauge courses are set. Ideally, each gauge would have an entirely different course. In the real world, that seldom happens. :cry:

Personally, I dislike shooting the same targets with different gauges, but sometimes there is no reasonable alternative. The main problem with shooting the same targets again is that anyone who has shot the targets once (or more) has a distinct advantage over someone shooting the targets for the first time...... regardless the gauge used. For example, someone who has shot the targets with a 20 gauge and is now shooting them with a 28 gauge has a real advantage over someone shooting the targets for the very first time and using a 28 gauge. Even if you miss some targets the first time through, you learn something about the trajectory, lead required, timing on pairs, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts