Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any body have any experiences with sub-gauge inserts?
I was thinking rather then buy a new 20GA I can use my 12GA just install 20GA sub-gauge inserts in my 12GA. How does it work when you eject a spent shell.I an shooting a O/U.Does it effect the chokes in any way.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
There are basically 3 types. 1. Short with no ejectors (Little Skeeters) 2. Short with ejectors (Chamber-mates, Side-kicks) 3. Full-length with ejectors

1. OK for occasional playing around, but not really very good, get your hands black, and hulls get stuck in them, so you have to carry a dowel, screwdriver, or bolt to knock them out.
2. Work pretty well as long as you don't try to go down to 410, don't change weight of gun very much, uses existing chokes.
3. Work very well, skeet shooters use them a lot, they add quite a bit of weight to the front of the gun, come with their own chokes.

As claytbuster says, this has been discussed recently. If you don't find the post he mentioned, try using the search feature at the top of the page.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am reloading 7/8 for my12 GA. If i shoot 20GA with 7/8 I Whould have more Velocity.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
shotgun25 said:
I am reloading 7/8 for my12 GA. If i shoot 20GA with 7/8 I Whould have more Velocity.
I doubt it.

The data I have from powder companies shows that I can get higher velocities at lower pressure from the 12 gauge than from the 20. I reload for both and see no advantage to shooting a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge shotgun.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
FlyChamps said:
shotgun25 said:
I doubt it.

The data I have from powder companies shows that I can get higher velocities at lower pressure from the 12 gauge than from the 20. I reload for both and see no advantage to shooting a 20 gauge shell in a 12 gauge shotgun.
+6.3

7/8 in 12 loads usually run 1300fps+.

7/8 in a 20 target load is bumping near max pressures and at 1200fps.

The advantage to shooting a 20 ga shell out of a 12 ga shotgun is it allows you to compete in 20 ga events in such things as SKEET (the goddess of all clay target sports) and sporting clays (the princess), where the 20 is, respectively, a regular event and a side event as a subgauge.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've been using a set of 12/20 chambermates for a while now and they work very well. Seminole advises to only use winchester AA's or Remington STS's, but the Remington gunclubs and game loads work almost as well. The winchester and federal promo loads will stick and pull the insert out with the fired shell.

I like the fact that the seminoles will work in any 12 ga double. You use the same chokes and the pattern seems to be roughly the same as the 12 ga patterns. The Chambermates have a built in extractor that works with you guns regular extractor/ejector.

I have heard less than stellar reports going to the smaller 12/28 and especially the 12/410 versions when using the short inserts like the chambermates. I have no experience with them myself though.

Weagle

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought the Briley 20ga tubes for my 12 ga o\u. I like them alot but they are expensive, I think it was about $400.
I have a set of Little Skeeters 12 to 20ga that I never used (New in the box)
I will ship to you for $30 and you can try the concept out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I use a set of Little Skeeters 12to20. I use them for close range grouse hunting and they work great, I use Win Un 7/8oz ,push them out with my little finger no problem, 30dollars is cheap, I paid 75.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts