Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, There was this gent at the gun club the other day... Now I don't know if he was pullin' my leg er what, but he told me that Federal was making some special subsonic, low noise shot shell rounds to be used in suburban or urban areas on rats, crows, etc. Evidently, a special barrel extension, which is about 30 inches long, screws into your existing choke tube threads. You can then fire these loads with very little report and without worry of putting holes in your neighbor's vinyl siding. Anybody else know anything about these things?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Is all true ... kind of. Federal makes the ammo and Hastings makes the barrels:
http://www.federalpremium.com/default.asp?menu=2&pg=18

From page above
Metro Sub-Sonic Tungsten-Iron
F E AT U R E S & B E N E F I T S

* Subsonic velocity for reduced noise and close range metro hunting
* Tungsten-iron BB shot for effective energy on goose
* Exclusive 6 petal wad for tighter patterns and barrel protection
* Designed for the new "Metro" barrels for enhanced noise reduction

MODEL DESCRIPTION
MWT181 BB Metro Sub-sonic Tungsten-Iron; 12 ga.; 3"; 11/8 oz.; 850 fps.
http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/hastings.htm

From Site above
Hastings "Metro" Sub-sonic Gun System

32" overall length, specially ported for lower noise level, Finished in non-glare fine matte surface and blued. Accepts chokes proprietary to the original system, especially for use with Federal "Metro" shotgun shells, 12 ga. only
A feller was making a really long shotgun for metro hunting. Like 6 feet long or something, Jay posted it originally (old board), can you find it again?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
American Hunter had a little feature story on these loads and a 7' barrel that screwed into an 870. I'll try to find the article, but it was in the last year.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All true I have not tried the barrel or the loads.

When we shoot city geese in places that it is legal but you do not want to draw attention to ourselves. We are using 4 shot steel and reloading it with a velocity of around 950. Shoot it out of the longest barreled you can find it is very quiet. We usually shoot the geese at 20 yards or less so it puts them down. After the first year we started hunting with two shotguns, last year we had a group of 10 come in and we were able to shoot them all. We got the first 3 each when their feet were 3 feet off the ground and got the other two each as they were leaving. It is amazing when geese think they are in an area that they cannot be hunted you can decoy them straight in with one or no passes. Unfortunately our limit went from 5 to 3 this year.

Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Greater Canadian geese that are in permanent residence.

Along the Front Range Fort Collins to Denver they are everywhere. The hard part is finding a place to legally hunt them. I have heard this is a problem through out the country.

They are too smart to go to corn fields where they can be shot so they go to golf courses, parks, any place there is grass to eat they also go to county open space that is leased to farmers but the county does not allow hunting. The also go to small fields in develop areas. So you have to find a field that is on the edge of the safety area or a small field in a development where everyone has 5 to ten acres and you have a safe shooting lane and permission from all the neighbors we also find farmers who have 1 to 10 acres that they live on and have sold their main farming land to the county for open space and lease it back to farm it. You can hunt on the private property that is surrounded by county open space. They are a pest and when the weather get good in the winter the migrants fall in with the locals and it makes them very hard to hunt them they are smart about where and where not to go. But if you can set up in a area that they think is safe you can get them to land in a very small area with trees and all kinds of bushes. We a different season just for local geese to get rid of them but it does not work very well because it is so hard to find a place to hunt them.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
City geese can also be big problems at airports, and to a lesser extent golf courses. "What is the ruling for goose turds in my lie?" Besides that they often get very aggressive and chase people in parks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
FYI Cabelas has the barrel for $189.99 is a 32"extendsion that weights 1.1lb would make my SX2 6.75 feet long and 9.1lbs :shock:
Those federal ultra weak shells will set you back $12.99 for a box of ten :shock:
Would'nt want to pat/woodcock hunt in my neck of the woods with one. :(

Get out of town!!!!!!!

Scott

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The safest place for a woodcock would be on top of your head.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, what do ya know....?
I showed up at the skeet range last night and there in the gun rack was a BPS with the longest barrel I'd ever seen. It was the Metro barrel. The gent who owned it was more than happy to pass it around and let anybody who wanted to shoot it. Let me tell ya, no ear protection is needed with this set up. It makes a kind of a whooshing phhhhht-boing sound and we were turning clays into orange dust at station 4. I have no doubt that you could smoke geese with it. Obviously this contraption has a very narrow niche with very limited and specific applications. I think I need one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It only takes a few times to get used to it. The barrel extension only weighs 13oz. I have one on an 870 and after a few times shooting it, you can lose the sense that it is there fairly quickly. I took mine to club night at the range and let the guys plink targets with the barrel and sub loads. Several times shots hit at around 40 yards were dusting pretty good.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I have used these extensions off and on since Wendell came out with them a decade or thereabouts ago. Federal makes (or at least used to make, I haven't seen a recent catalog) two types of loads for them. One was the one mentioned above, a subsonic load of tungsten/iron BB and another with lead 7 1/2 for crows and doves. The Winchester Featherlights with #8 shot are much the same thing though they are not advertised as such. Even standard loads are quieted though not to the same level as the subsonics.
The Hastings barrel is not all that heavy, I don't think it makes a single barrel gun any more front heavy than that of my 32" Citori. In the past I've used them on Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 shotguns and they have worked well. For spooky crows and geese in areas where the neighbors will object to the noise of gunshots, they can't be beat. I have a barrel for a Beretta/Benelli and plan to try it on a Beretta 391 auto. I imagine it will work as well as normal with standard loads and should work with subsonics at least as well as normal. There may be a need to adjust the gas exhaust valves to a lower spring weight but that is yet to be seen.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am intrigued. I have sufficient machine skills and a nice lathe. I also have some 12ga barrels laying around. IF I duplicate a choke tube on the end of a 12 ga barrel do I get a metro extension? This assumes the extension is the same or slightly larger bore diameter as the first barrel.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The extension is made different than the regular shotgun barrrel. It is much, much thinner and made from some kind of strong, but very light steel alloy that gives it strength even with a thin wall. It is ported most of the way up. The extension screws into the existing choke threads which in a way sort of begins the constriction process. The main body from there appears to be thinner, but the thin wall could even out the constriction the whole way. The last few inches the extension slightly swells larger to allow for choke threads so you can insert the factory gun choke. I don't use the chokes myself as I found the pattern to be very tight at 25 yards.

·
Registered
936 Posts
hmmm.....i've got some damn pesky squirrrels in the the tree in the front yard that keep trying to get into the atic, this may be just the thing. so far the neighbors haven't noticed the pellet gun berrel sticking out the front door, but that doesn't quite have the range i need some days. though i supose the cops would still look at it pretty bad if someone reported me sticking a 6' shotgun barrel out the front door! hmmm........ i'lll have to do some thinking here. :wink:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well Jeep, I won't be the guy to recommend sticking the barrel of your 12 gauge out your front window to blast squirrels in a neighborhood...lol. It is considerably louder than a pellet gun that's for sure. The best way I've found to describe it, in an open environment, is that the subsonic loads with the metro barrel closely mimic dropping a sheet of plywood. I would think the pellet gun is a safer, less noticeable alternative for your squirrel problem...lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.