Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favorite trap loads depending on powder availability is a published Alliant load:
Rem STS
Win 209
Green Dot 19.0 grains
DRRF8 wad
1 1/8 #7.5

While loading the above recipe, I ran short of wads however I had a supply of DRRT12. I wondered if using this wad could produce a decent crimp. I use an Automate to load. Crimps were a bit shallow, adjusted crimp punch, crimps now are good. While loading I noticed that the shot was just under lip of the shell after crimp starter but then after crimp punch station shell closed and was fine. I thought OK but maybe the wad is smashed and will tent up the crimps. I loaded 6 shells left them on my bench overnight and this morning they look good. I cut open one shell and the wad looked good.
I have used and like the DRRT12 for 1 1/8 oz. when using Titegroup. I've read not to use this wad with a fluffy powders like Green Dot.
I 'm a by the book reloader and I'm planning on calling Alliant for their input. I will send the shells to be pressure tested.
Comments appreciated.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
If the shells crimp nicely, that wad change won't change diddly squat in it's performance and pressures. You are worrying over a non existent problem. Fret with it if you wish, but you are dealing with a non concern.

If memory serves, Remington uses the TGT wad, (same as the DRRT-12), in its Nitro 27 Handicap loads anyway. Figure 8 style wads are inherently "Low Pressure" wads to begin with. If stack height is OK, there won't be a problem.

DLM

·
Registered
917 Posts
The DRRT-12 is a clone of the Remington TGT-12 and is designed for 1 oz loads with "typical" powders (whatever that is :)). That's the reason for the common wisdom that it doesn't work well with low density (i.e., fluffy) powders and 1 1/8 oz. 19 gr of Green Dot isn't a big charge so I'm not surprised that it fits OK. The only issue I can think of is that you might have some shot above the top of the shot cup but that's not a big deal.

The DRRT-12 is my go-to wad these days for 1 oz loads in Rem hulls and I get very good results with it. I don't remember trying it with 1 1/8 oz - I don't load many of them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.