Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need you guys to suggest some loads for ducks and geese using 12 ***** steel in 2.75" and 3" shells. Please include shot sizes and amounts. Thanks

DUCKS 2.75": ???
DUCKS 3": ???

GEESE 3": ???

I am not too picky of manufacturers as I can usually get and Win, Rem or Kent.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Ducks: #6 Hevi Shot 2.75"

Geese: #4 Hevi Shot with a box of #2's just incase you want something heavier.

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
I also like Steel #2 for ducks and BB's for geese. I also like them with a velocity of 1,550fps. With a 3" shell at that velocity you are looking at 1 1/8oz of shot.

The best thing you can do is buy a few different loads and see which patterns the best out of your gun and choke/s.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had been a supporter of 1 1/8 of steel number 2s for ducks but two seasons ago had to purchase what they had available when hunting down east NC. Tried Kent Fasteel for the first time #4's and loved them. Won't shoot anything but these for decoying and even pass shooting ducks. Speed kills when shooting steel.

As for geese, 1 1/4 of BBs has been my standard for years now. Newer loads are even better then the older loads from 5 years ago.

For swans (yes we have a limited draw hunt in NC for tundra swan! :D ) I shoot the 10 Ga 1 3/8oz of BBs.

I have shot bismuth but did not like the thump in the shoulder or the wallet from these. I'm sure they kill just fine but the box of 10 I bought was enough for me to say no thanks.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like atleast bbb for geese and even t's are good, bb is okay but, geese are big birds and you won't shoot around them, especially witht he ranges that steel limits you to. I suggest going with the larger shot

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Steel #3's have been (supposedly) scientifically proven to be the most effective size for ducks for most shots within reasonable range, I've heard #2's are hard to get to pattern well out of the 12ga bore, you'd want to do some pattern work if choosing #2 steel.
I personally like #1's for a lot of duck huntin, especially if your shootin a lot of larger ducks like mallards, and the ranges can get a bit far, 3" 1 1/4oz of #1's in a kent shell would be good, otherwise #3's in 1 1/8oz at 1500+ is a good load for all round duck use.
I like BB's for geese, or even BBB's if shootin at the larger species (greater canada goose).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hevi-shot, #4 for geese ,#5 or 6 for ducks.

An example; on Saturday, using a 1oz load of #4 Hevishot in my CZ Bobwhite 20ga, I killed a mallard at 'way out there', estimated 60+yds. One pellet went in the left breast and out the right side, breaking the right wing bone. Penetration was about 4-5".
No follow up shots required.

Now, I do not practice, nor do I endorse long range shooting at waterfowl, I happened to misjudge the range on this one. I share this to show how effective this stuff is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.