Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my 1969 Superposed a bit heated up while shooting five stand, I noticed that approximately one third of the vent rib was loose at the rear. After cooling down it was not so evident, so It may have been loose longer than recognized.

My assumption is that resoldering it is the only option for a gun which gets shot quite a bit.

This is not a rare or highly collectable Superposed, and it is used as a workhorse.

I am looking for recommended sources to make this repair. Both Midwest and Art's come up on a web search, but are there others to consider that forum members have used recently?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I haven't had any reason to send an old Browning anywhere else other than Art's and am confident there is nothing they can't handle when it comes to repair, restoration, and preservation. I've had enough work done over the last 3 years to know. They have 3 right now, and will get another one for a locking bolt, and another for a complete action re-build and forearm hardware to be converted BACK to a 'non-removable'.

That's not to say there aren't other folks out there that are very capable and qualified - I just haven't dealt with anybody else.

I've heard good things about Midwest and a few others.

Someone I trust and have corresponded with in Florida a good bit, used Merrill Helms in Jupiter Florida for a rib re-solder and was very satisfied. He said Helms is a retired gunsmith that worked for Browning for 25 years in their target shotgun section and was recommended by the manager of the Palm Beach Trap and Skeet Club.

Whoever you use - make sure you get a reliable recommendation. I've seen some re-solder jobs that weren't real pretty, but it coulda been an owner that didn't want to pay to have it done 'right'.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Go the Art's web site and watch the video on resoldering a rib. There or Mid West is where I would go if I wanted it done right. This is a very very common issue with earlier superposeds. Sometime after your gun was made I believe they changed to a high temperature solder and later guns do not tend to separate ribs.
Other gunsmiths can do it. Some may try to do it without rebluing the barrels. Some will say you can use a high strength adhesive. Art says it won't last. I suspect may of the advocates of adhesive promptly sell the gun after gluing the rib. You probably do not have a lot to lose by trying an adhesive but based on the extent of the separation on your gun I would not hold out much hope.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.