Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For no apparent reason I started flinching about 2 years ago and it kept getting more frequent over time. I am sure there are many different causes of flinches and I tried everything I read here and elsewhere to cure mine without success. My flinches are a little odd, just as I am ready to shoot, something happens and I cannot pull the trigger for some unknown reason. It's weird. Sometimes I have time to recover and still hit the target, other times the target is on the ground or too far away and I miss it anyway.

Lucky for me a local shooter saw that I had my trigger finger on the trigger guard when I called Pull - old habit from IPSC pistol shooting and general gun safety, keep finger off trigger until ready to shoot. This guy said put your finger on the trigger just before you call pull. That did nothing to help me because I only put the pad of my finger on the trigger very lightly. When I mentioned the flinches again a couple of weeks ago, this fellow said put your finger on the trigger all the way to the first joint.

I tried that change and held the trigger more firmly so that I could definitely feel the trigger in that first joint. Wow, it worked like magic. I have not flinched since when I hold the trigger that way. If I forget and revert back to a very light touch or no touch, I start flinching again.

Maybe this idea will help somebody. I think it might work for the same reason that release triggers help some shooters. With a release trigger your finger is on it firmly and you let go, so the sensation of having your finger on the trigger is similar to what my friend suggested to me.

·
Premium Member
2006 Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade and a Beretta
8,430 Posts
I have a flinching problem every once in a while.

When I lose sight of the target I flinch.

Get a copy of my CD "Flinch to the Lead". :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
18,042 Posts
BigFlopper said:
KRIEGHOFFK80 said:

I know it's sold thousands of copies worldwide, but it must be out of print or something. Do you happen to have a website? :)
He does, but you'll need to view it late at night when no kids are up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
marist89 said:
BigFlopper said:
KRIEGHOFFK80 said:

I know it's sold thousands of copies worldwide, but it must be out of print or something. Do you happen to have a website? :)
He does, but you'll need to view it late at night when no kids are up.
Sounds like a good exercise for the look away method :lol:

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
A release trigger sure worked miracles for me. It keeps me in the shooting game. I was losing 10-12 targets a round of sporting clays and I was just about ready to quit shooting. Charlie to the rescue. He loaned me a gun with a release trigger and stuck with me during the training phase. I sent my guns to be converted and haven't flinched since. The cause of my flinch? Don't know, don't care. If my flinch were to magically disappear I wouldn't go back to a pull trigger.

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
Overuse flinch is likely not the cause of this one.

90 to 10 it's a visual flinch where the gun bbls interfere w/ the sight of the target.

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
dickgtax said:
You can try a lot of different things to cure a flinch, and they may work for a while, but in the end you'll break down and get a release trigger, which you should have done from the beginning.
That is not true and is an often repeated and overused comment. Many people learn to overcome some types of flinching.

Good hearing protection helps a lot of people avoid developing a flinch, as does shooting reasonable loads.

It seems like more Trap shooters over time develop flinches than in other disciplines. Many shot heavy 12 gauge loads for years and also I think there are other issues in Trap that could contribute to this BJ that is another discussion.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Jim Miller said:
I have been in this shooting game for over 40 years and I have never run into anyone with a cured flinch. Not saying it can't happen but I have never seen it.
I think it can be cured but it would take a willingness to look outside the box, use proper form and a certain level of retraining/relearning how to shoot. Most shooters aren't going to do what it takes. The cure is deeper than the flinch itself, the flinch is a result.

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
This is a quote from a post by Anthony Matarese concerning flinching.
"I have found that 80-90% of flinches are visual. Most are related to seeing the gun at the moment you are about to pull the trigger or taking your eye off the clay. Having a slightly lower mount should help a bit."

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
A perfect analogy is men with ED. Some struggle to analyze their problem: stress, low self-esteem, past rejection, etc.
Then there are the guys that just pop a pill and enjoy life.
Those are the guys that get a release trigger.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Has anyone ever flinched with a release trigger? Does a release trigger cure all types of flinch?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.