Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The tactical forum is pretty much the same thing. :wink: I've seen several "survival" type threads there and that's the crowd who will answer any related question. Not a bad idea for a seperate forum though.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Done and done! I wouldn't have much to contribute to it but I would probably learn a lot.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
i'm thinking that the survival types... kinda like myself, would gravitate towards the tactical forum... though a stand-alone "survival" forum would be more direct... survival can be discussed on levels from a home emergency kit to dedicated vehicles with BOB's galore (bug out bags)

and yes, the tactical crew, we think of ourselves sometimes as the redheaded stepchildren here, will answer all questions and may i add, with the least amount of drama... good people indeed 8)

·
Registered
210 Posts
870pilot said:
and yes, the tactical crew, we think of ourselves sometimes as the redheaded stepchildren here, will answer all questions and may i add, with the least amount of drama... good people indeed 8)
Here here! They are the nicest people I've ever dealt with, funny, and full of info. But, we're at the bottom of the list, meer inches from "off topic", almost as though tactical shotguns aren't even shotguns. We embrace the status. 8)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Why?

Hording food is some states is illegal. In the event of an emergency the government will come and take your extra food to spread amoung the un-prepared!

Besides, your government will always be their to take care of you!

·
Registered
210 Posts
RedRyder21 said:
Besides, your government will always be their to take care of you!
Did we not learn anything from that little gust of wind they called Katrina? The government, towards which I have no ill-will, was not Jonny on the Spot with the aid there. I live in CA, and if/when the next big earthquake hits, I know for fact that I may be on my own for 3 days. I'm taking training out here with the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and they say that the city plan is that people will be without assistance for up to 3 days. I don't want to go hungry for that long. And if the government has gotten to me to take my food, odds are that I'm no longer cut off, and I'd be happy to share my food with those in need, so long as I have enough for myself.
Not trying to pick a fight, just saying. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Not trying to pick a fight, just saying. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

the man from sandy eggos (which is sad and gross at the same time because i love eggos) is totally true... i don't live in tornado alley, near the coast or on a major fault line, and knock on wood, natural disasters have passed us by, but i am NOT depending on anyone to take care of me and mine in the event the SHTF...

no, i am not stocking the bunker with 2,000 rounds of ammo and a SAW (squad assault weapon) but three days here is do-able, comfortable and that does a lot to ease my mind...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
How could anything ever go wrong in our country? We elected G.W. Bush into office! All the gun magazines said Kerry would ban all guns, so we voted for Bush.

Bush will support our gun rights and he will never take them from us!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Red,

Your satire is borderline political. Let's keep it fun and friendly and not go down that path in this forum. {hs#

Casual Shooter

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
All too often I have seen tactical and survival forums devolve into apocalyptic, end-of-the-world, kill em all, race wars type of discussions. I think we do a disservice to ourselves by providing fodder to the anti's who already think we're psycho.

You cannot learn survival on a message board. Take it from one who did a stint as a SEREs instructor.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Paul F. said:
All too often I have seen tactical and survival forums devolve into apocalyptic, end-of-the-world, kill em all, race wars type of discussions. I think we do a disservice to ourselves by providing fodder to the anti's who already think we're psycho.

You cannot learn survival on a message board. Take it from one who did a stint as a SEREs instructor.
I agree with all of your statements. That is why if we were to have such a forum, we would need someone to moderate it who has a sense of humor, not a micro-managing "power pusher," but still able to cut through the crap and not allow the so-called "survialists" turn it into such a trash can. The entire concept is to exchange ideas, and perhaps learn a thing or two. No one could learn to survive on a message board, but we can learn a thing or two from others. Correct?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Something tells me that CS doesn't want the forum. :lol:

CS, I know what you are saying, but just because something exists elsewhere should not prevent us from spreading our wings, should it?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
soonerpgh said:
Paul F. said:

I agree with all of your statements. That is why if we were to have such a forum, we would need someone to moderate it who has a sense of humor, not a micro-managing "power pusher," but still able to cut through the crap and not allow the so-called "survialists" turn it into such a trash can. The entire concept is to exchange ideas, and perhaps learn a thing or two. No one could learn to survive on a message board, but we can learn a thing or two from others. Correct?
exactly, i couldn't have said it better myself.

as with any group, there are a few extremists who make everyone in the group look bad. just look at the negative press gun owners recieve. also look at many comments made about all people with political ideas leaning to the left... i've known plenty that had a great head on their shoulders, but the extremists make the group, as a whole, look absolutely insane.

the same goes for survivalists. yes, there are some that sit in their fortified trailer waiting for the black helicopters to come for them; but the majority of survival oriented people are made up of folks who have seen the recent events that have taken place over the last few years, and they understand that it's important to be prepared for whatever could happen. it isn't about paranoia, it's about being ready for disasters that have taken the lives of the unprepared.

this isn't about stockpiling massive amounts of food, it's about keeping enough on hand to sustain your family if worse comes to worse. it's about having a plan and knowing what to do to protect yourself and the ones you love. it's not about living in fear, it's about living without worries; being confident that you'll come out on top in the face of adversity.

as a group, we'll have to make sure that this forum(if created) won't go into a downward spiral of conspiracy theories and pure insanity. i'm sure that most, if not all of us would view it as a means to share what we've learned and to gain knowledge that may help us if we ever end up in a survival type situation.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.