Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use their Sweet 16 for skeet regularly?
I've got a '87 model w/28" bbl and I'd like to start shooting skeet soon.
Probably going to start loading my own shells too because of the rarity of shells anywhere and a one oz. load or less would be sufficient.
Would using this gun once or twice a week for skeet be too much for it? I bought this babe used and she's a definite sweetie...98/99%!
I don't think she's happy being a safe queen.
Otherwise, I'd use my Winchester Supreme 12ga O/U.
Thanks!
Glen

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Now and then, with my 1955 with a 28" cylinder barrel. I have a 1938 short chambered A-5 16, and plan to load up a bunch of 2 1/2 shells and try it out too.

I've also shot a Light 12 (1959) and my wife shoots a 20 (also 1959) at the wiley skeet.

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Once or twice a week for Skeet being too much for it? :?

Surely you jest? :shock:

That Sweet 16 will thrive on it.

Take it out and shoot it. Be prepared for a few oggles! Not many folks see those any more, especially on a Skeet range. You probably won't win many national shoots with it, but then again they don't shoot any 16 ga class. You could shoot 12 with it though. Nice shotguns, beggin' to be taken for a walk! :wink:

BP

·
Registered
105 Posts
Back before the Remington M58 followed quickly by the Remington M1100, the Browning A-5 and the Remington M11 were THE semiautos on the skeet circuit - usually with a Cutts Compensator. They performed well and will still do so. This was also the heyday of the Winchester M12 for skeet. Have at it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We have run the Sweet 16 Celebration for the last two years at the Black Wing Shooting Center. Only 16 gauge guns are permitted! Events include Skeet, Trap, and 5 Stand.

Would be happy to add anyone interested to our electronic distribution list.

[email protected]

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
As far as "winning national shoots" with a squareback or a 16 gauge, remember this. Robert Stack, (and probably a few others), have won National Championships with squarebacks. Dick Shaughnessy won a 12 gauge (All Bore) National Championship with a 16 gauge Model 21. Hal Hare may yet win a World Championship with a Model 21, or even a 16 gauge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts